View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abergou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: yet another xfree problem? Reply with quote

Hello, I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas on what the heck could be causing this problem:

I compiled and installed xfree-4.2.99 (this is without reemerging kde btw) and it worked (after playing around with the config file a bit -- don't know why but I had to set the DotClock lower - probably driver issues). So anyhow it worked. Then without warning after a reboot it simply stopped working. My machine still boots it doesn't appear to be harddrive corruption - I tried reemerging X, but whenever I do startx or try to go into X in any way I simply get a blank screen.... I don't think that I changed anything. Nothing seems to really help - I reemerged X and nothing (my logs show nothing interesting). Any ideas on what to try?
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: yet another xfree problem? Reply with quote

abergou wrote:
but whenever I do startx or try to go into X in any way I simply get a blank screen.... I don't think that I changed anything. Nothing seems to really help - I reemerged X and nothing (my logs show nothing interesting). Any ideas on what to try?
When you get the blank screen, can you switch back to the console? What happens to the X process - does it keep running while giving you a blank screen?

Also, just for kicks, maybe we could look at your log anyway. :wink:
abergou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

When you get the blank screen, can you switch back to the console?

This actually depends on the settings in my XF86Config - it usually would just remain black even when I tried to switch back to console.

Quote:

What happens to the X process - does it keep running while giving you a blank screen?

I think that the X process keeps running because when I did a control-alt-delete my machine would respond and reboot.... Other than that I didn't know how to tell if things were still running.

Quote:

Also, just for kicks, maybe we could look at your log anyway.

Sorry, but I can't do that right now :oops:, since I downgraded to XFree86-4.2.1-r2 for now. That worked fine by the way - X booted as expected. I think that for now I'm going to wait for XFree86-4.3 to be a bit more stable before I switch to it, however if you have any ideas on what the heck the problem could possibly have been I would love to hear them. Thank!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: