View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b_zed_image
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: A little KDE Discussion Reply with quote

Hey all,

I was reading my latest 'ComputerActive' magazine this morning, and they had a useful little tip for evading keylogging programs. Now, correct me if i'm wrong, but KDE doesn't seem to have an on-screen keyboard.

While the threat of keyloggers isn't _that_ great, some people feel safer entering sensitive details over using an on-screen alternative. Frankly, I am not one of them, but I am one who feels we should take every route possible to ensure that KDE, Gnome and others are of the utmost security.
monkey89
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're computer is compromised enough to allow someone to install a keylogger on your computer, don't you think they'd have a way to get the input from the on screen keyboard? Watching you over VNC, or just opening up a hole in SSH so they can look at files.

-Monkey
b_zed_image
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you're computer is compromised enough to allow someone to install a keylogger on your computer

Don't make the mistake of thinking i'm posting this because my system was comprimised.

I'm simply seeing what people think about the idea - just another addition to KDE. If there's somewhere else I should be to discuss this, please let me know :)
Merlin-TC
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only place where this could be useful is if you are running an Internet cafe or a place with public computers but even then, when someone wants to log what's happening on the screen you can run something like VNC in the background so I think it's not really useful.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: