Kde problems after install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Kde problems after install Reply with quote

After installing kde i get a sort of desktop thing, which has most of the screen a console, and two consoles on the right and a clock. I think the resolution it wrong, because the bottom half of the console looks chopped off.

This happened the first time i did this, and i was doing all the installation stuff according to the kde installation page(mostly).

Acording to this it should come up with a personal customiser thingy which allows u to set appearance after the first startup. If i made a mistake, is there a way to start from the begining or something?(this is my first linux install). Linux works fine i got a 2.4 kernel off a 2004.2 cd.
kernelsensei
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

How did you try to start kde ? which command exactly ? how is your /etc/rc.conf configured ?

and please, don't shout ... ;)
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sory i havent used this forum be4 , i thought the text was too small lol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i think i know wats rong. I put for the start upd desktop thing "kde" by itself, but i need to put the version installed, dont i?

I did emerge kdebase ( think ) so is there a way to check wat i hav emerged?

and wat version would kdebase hav installed?
kernelsensei
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8688 wrote:
ok i think i know wats rong. I put for the start upd desktop thing "kde" by itself, but i need to put the version installed, dont i?

I did emerge kdebase ( think ) so is there a way to check wat i hav emerged?

and wat version would kdebase hav installed?

you maybe would have to set kdm as DISPLAYMANAGER
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slightly better now... i started up withthe xdm command instead and it has a old style startup with the login. After typing in my details...

it then asks u wat session to start with but sine the mouse doesnt work (this is a laptop but the mouse worked with the livecd) i cant choose anything.

btw i am 13 years old so that might be the reason i cant get this stuff working...

anyway as my question before said, if i typed

emerge kdebase

wat version of kde would it install?

i hav no idea wat emerge really does (i know it downloads something from the net, then installs it, then does some other stuff but i am new so ....)

sorry for being so much trouble.

(edit: Im not sure if i mentioned it b4 but all the graphics look really crappy compared to wat kde 3. something or other {i used a knoppix cd once} so hmmm)
Venceremos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8688 wrote:
slightly better now... i started up withthe xdm command instead and it has a old style startup with the login. After typing in my details...
it then asks u wat session to start with but sine the mouse doesnt work

You have to configure your Xorg.conf. you'll find a lot of topics concerning it on this forum.I think there is also a script which asks you a few questions and generates the file, just don't now what's the name of it. Configuring xorg should solve the graphics and mouse issue.
Quote:
(this is a laptop but the mouse worked with the livecd) i cant choose anything.
btw i am 13 years old so that might be the reason i cant get this stuff working...
anyway as my question before said, if i typed
emerge kdebase
wat version of kde would it install?

It should have installed the newest version availabel on portage (probably 3.3 as 3.4 is still masked as unstable). A good advice would be to read the gentoo handbook. I think you should start with it. Basicaly you have a lot to do before gentoo will start working well.

greets
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: