Gentoo Store
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brims
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Gentoo Store Reply with quote

This may have been answered, but i cant find it. What happened to the Gentoo Hoodies? I was going to buy one for next winter, but they dont exist on the store anymore. Thanks.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gentoo hoodies went because people got banned from Bluewater for wearing them.
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been discussed on several other threads, mailing lists, etc... but I will leave this thread here for the time being. The store used to be run by Daniel Robbins, the founder of Gentoo Linux. He racked up a debt of over $40,000 that was spent supporting the gentoo developement effort, thanks Daniel. He was given the right to run the store in perpetuity so he could have a chance to pay off some of that debt.

Running the store was a huge effort and started costing him more than he was bringing in. He made the decision to lose the store. The Gentoo Foundation, which took over supporting Gentoo Linux when Daniel stepped down, created a cafepress store. All purchases from the new store directly benefit the developement efforts of Gentoo Linux. This is a Good Thing(tm) in my very humble opinion. At least for Gentoo. For Daniel it means that he will now have to pay off some of that debt himself. He was accepting donations for a time, I personally donated $100 to him, but I do not know if he still is.

The new store does not have a lot of items for sale. I am unsure of why they only have those few items. If you really want a hooded Gentoo sweatshirt then I suggest you send an email to trustees@gentoo.org which is the Gentoo Foundation official email address. Make sure to tell them that you are a gentoo user and that you want your purchase to help in the developement effort. They may include hooded sweatshirts as an offical item. I can't gaurantee that but it's worth a shot.
brims
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
The Gentoo hoodies went because people got banned from Bluewater for wearing them.

Only in Europe would that happen. Wow.

I guess I'll just wait to see if the office store brings them back. Thanks for your help.
Flammie
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brims wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

But not all Europe is same! It's divided in to 52 states which all have their own laws and stuff!!1 :twisted:
Warped_Dragon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4534903.stm

Quote:

Ms Smith said: "We're very concerned that some of our guests don't feel at all comfortable in what really is a family environment.

"That's feedback from retailers, our own staff and from our on site police force."

And they would be concerned about this why, given the lack of input by their guests? Or do they have telepaths on staff?

And clothing that obscures the face is now anti-social? And anti-social is a bad thing? Could someone give me this definition of "anti-social"?

I consider myself anti-social. I prefer to be alone, rather then with a group of people. That's not to say I can't interact and function in a social setting, but that given the choice, I'll likely choose not to bother. Being told that this is bad, evil, or wrong.... well, I find that rather offensive, really. Why is such a trivial thing like this even an issue? Don't we have more importent things to deal with?
pitcrawler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warped_Dragon wrote:
From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4534903.stm

Quote:

Ms Smith said: "We're very concerned that some of our guests don't feel at all comfortable in what really is a family environment.

"That's feedback from retailers, our own staff and from our on site police force."

And they would be concerned about this why, given the lack of input by their guests? Or do they have telepaths on staff?

And clothing that obscures the face is now anti-social? And anti-social is a bad thing? Could someone give me this definition of "anti-social"?

I consider myself anti-social. I prefer to be alone, rather then with a group of people. That's not to say I can't interact and function in a social setting, but that given the choice, I'll likely choose not to bother. Being told that this is bad, evil, or wrong.... well, I find that rather offensive, really. Why is such a trivial thing like this even an issue? Don't we have more importent things to deal with?

Anti-social in this case means p***ing other people off with intent, or causing minor crime or intimidation to other people. Anti-social doesn't mean that you like to be alone. It means you like to go against the rules and etiquete of society at other peoples expense.

Definition:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-social wrote:

* Anti-social behaviour is that lacking in judgement and consideration for others, ranging from careless negligence to deliberately damaging activity, vandalism and graffiti for example. Someone behaving in an anti-social manner may be a manifestation of an antisocial personality disorder.

Quote:
Don't we have more importent things to deal with?

In an increasingly anti-social society and with an increasingly older population being intimidated daily by anti-social behavior, it is an important thing. We've moved on from just trying to tackle the obvious problems of major crime, we now need to solve the problems that the majority of law-abiding people actually care about and suffer from every day. Whether the government are going about it in the right way, I'm not sure. If what they do gets results then it was the right thing to do.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brims wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

I guess I'll just wait to see if the office store brings them back. Thanks for your help.
actually it was done because it was al scummy peices of shit chavs and pikeys who were wearing them and considering they'd nick the lead out of petrol if it was possible, then they are best not being in the store
pitcrawler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
brims wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

actually it was done because it was al scummy peices of shit chavs and pikeys who were wearing them and considering they'd nick the lead out of petrol if it was possible, then they are best not being in the store

Exactly. It's simple logic. If it's only chavs and pikeys that are known to be wearing hoodies(usually with the hood up and a burbery cap over the top) in the area then it's highly unlikely that any non-chav is going to walk around dressed the same way.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitcrawler wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
brims wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

Exactly. It's simple logic. If it's only chavs and pikeys that are known to be wearing hoodies(usually with the hood up and a burbery cap over the top) in the area then it's highly unlikely that any non-chav is going to walk around dressed the same way.
Kinda, its more like trying to keep a certain type of person out, the antisocial ones.
edudlive
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is Robbins in debt or Gentoo itself?
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edudlive wrote:
So is Robbins in debt or Gentoo itself?

I am unsure how much in debt Daniel Robbins still is. I doubt he has paid off the $40,000+ debt he incurred supporting gentoo though. The Gentoo Foundation started with a clean slate and is not in debt according to this.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drobbins isn't going to be in that much trouble financially, IBM made sure of that
WTFman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've written to the trustees in hopes of getting me a gentoo hoodie, hope more people do the same. I'd love to see the hoodies back up in the gentoo store!
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flammie wrote:
brims wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

But not all Europe is same! It's divided in to 52 states which all have their own laws and stuff!!1 :twisted:

*gasp* they have more states then us...quick let's assimilate someone... :P

:roll: :lol: :wink:
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
drobbins isn't going to be in that much trouble financially, IBM made sure of that

No! MS does!
cshields
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Store Reply with quote

brims wrote:
This may have been answered, but i cant find it. What happened to the Gentoo Hoodies? I was going to buy one for next winter, but they dont exist on the store anymore. Thanks.

Hooded sweatshirts were added (along with a couple more t-shirts) over the weekend:

http://www.cafepress.com/officialgentoo

Cheers!

-Corey
cshields
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis119 wrote:
I am unsure how much in debt Daniel Robbins still is. I doubt he has paid off the $40,000+ debt he incurred supporting gentoo though. The Gentoo Foundation started with a clean slate and is not in debt according to this.

From what I understand, the $40k figure is no longer an issue. And yes, the Foundation started with a clean slate. I hope that we can be transparent especially with our financial situation so that speculation/questions are not an issue. Look for the quarterly reports to continue.

I should also mention that release CDs should be returning to the store soon (this week maybe). We're not out to make a huge profit from the CP store, but rather be able to acquire funds that will help the Foundation to in turn help the developers. That funds url above pretty much explains it.

Anyway, feel free to send store suggestions to cafepress@gentoo.org. I don't follow the forums as often as I would like, so I may miss stuff on here.

Cheers,

-Corey
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks for clearing that up cshields.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cshields wrote:
curtis119 wrote:
From what I understand, the $40k figure is no longer an issue. And yes, the Foundation started with a clean slate. I hope that we can be transparent especially with our financial situation so that speculation/questions are not an issue. Look for the quarterly reports to continue.

I should also mention that release CDs should be returning to the store soon (this week maybe). We're not out to make a huge profit from the CP store, but rather be able to acquire funds that will help the Foundation to in turn help the developers. That funds url above pretty much explains it.

Anyway, feel free to send store suggestions to cafepress@gentoo.org. I don't follow the forums as often as I would like, so I may miss stuff on here.

Cheers,

-Corey
the gentoo store is the greatest idea that has come from gentoo, it gives the people committed to Gentoo but not able to develop, a path to help, therefore it is a diamond in the rough.

All we need now is British prices :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: