Grub error 13 and 17
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ezzet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Grub error 13 and 17 Reply with quote

So I have this kind of situation now - I can't boot to Gentoo or Windows anymore. I've checked grub.conf and it's ok I think ( I have two disks hda -> Windows and hdb->Gentoo * ext2,swap,ext3):

root (hd1,0)
filesystem type unknown partition type 0x7

Error 17 : Cannot mount selected partition

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader

Error 13 Invalid or unsupported executable format

Solution by Suse:

Following the installation of SUSE LINUX 9.1, the Linux system can be booted, but the Windows system no longer boots. After selecting the Windows entry in the boot loader GRUB, a message such as the following is displayed:
The problem cannot be solved by restoring the original MBR with YaST or by writing a new MBR with Windows tools (with the command FIXMBR or with FIXBOOT from the Windows rescue console). Repairing the partition table with proprietary partitioning tools does not solve the problem and may even destroy the entire partition table. The problem cannot even be solved by uninstalling Linux or reinstalling Windows without deleting the entire hard disk.

One quick solution is to activate the LBA or large access mode under which the hard disk was previously addressed for the hard disks in the computer's BIOS. It is important that the hard disk values not be set to "AUTO".

If this does not help (or if your BIOS does not offer this option), you can repair the partition table with a driver update. To do this, proceed as follows: On our FTP server, find two images at ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/9.1/misc/parted/: one for creating a floppy disk and one for creating a CD.

This solution don't work for me - I've tried!

This is grub.conf:
default 0
timeout 15

title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd1,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r9 root=/dev/hdb3

title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Can someone help me?
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you read The grub error guide? You can post your problem in the grub error collection thread if you need additional help.

Moved to Duplicate Threads.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: