View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
964racer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Looking for WM suggestions please Reply with quote

This is my second gentoo system..The first one quickly became a test bench/playground for different versions of X/gnome and KDE and over time it became a mess. It was fairly troublesome to upgrade gnome or kde without running into a lot of cross dependency issues and over a period of time, my system became fairly polluted.

This time around, I'm really interested in going with something very simple, light and easy to upgrade/customize. I used fluxbox for a while and it was pretty fast/nice. What I would like to have is file icons on the desktop (with associations) - ie not just launcher icons, - but I was hoping I wouldn't have to go to kde or gnome to get that.... Also being able to configure themes is important as well.

Any suggests on desktop environmens or add-ons for a WM that will give you this. ?
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE
Gnome
XFCe

mixing stuff will slow things down.
linux: #232767
crzy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i have used gnome,fluxbox,xfce4,enlightment. The easiest and fastest was xfce4. the WM had everything i needed. launch box task bar and very easy to setup the way you want it. try it ;).
dmartin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fun xfce4 with Nautilus to get what you are talking about. Just be sure to add the app menu to the panel, because running Nautilus will keep you from right-clicking on the desktop to see the app menu.

Great thing about xfce4 is that the menu pulls in both KDE and Gnome apps into the same menu.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: