Kernel panic when booting from live CD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
visaris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Kernel panic when booting from live CD Reply with quote

+ Some background:

I have a Tyan K8WE (newest BIOS) with two AMD Opteron 265 processors (dual-core).

+ I downloaded the latest 64-bit live cd (2005.0, checksum matches (tried downloading twice)) and whenever I try to boot from it, it gives me a kernel panic message:
Code:
NMI Watchdog detected LOCKUP on CPU0CPU 0
Modules linked in:
<0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!

I even tried to disable everything on the live cd: "gentoo-nofb nodetect noapic ide=nodma nousb nohotplug acpi=off nofirewire nohotplug"

+ Since I could not boot off the Gentoo live CD to install gentoo, I booted off a 64-bit Ubuntu 5.04 live cd, and proceded to install Gentoo from there. This worked fine, and I compiled two versions of the same kernel (2.6.11-gentoo-r7). One with SMP support and one without SMP support.

When I try and boot from the SMP kernel it gives me a kernel panic in much the same way as the gentoo live cd, but when I try and boot with the UP kernel, it works fine, but of course, only lets me use one of my 4 cores....

I have tried 2.6.11-gentoo-r7 as well as 2.6.10-vanilla, and both these kernel versions panic on me whenever I try to enable SMP...

+ This really confuses me, because if I boot from a Knoppix cd (32-bit) it boots fine, no panic, and it detects and lets me use all four of my cores.

Does anyone have any ideas or tips or tricks for me to try? Obviously my motherboard and linux do support my dual, dual-core setup because Knoppix has support for all my cores.... Any thoughts?
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the .config from one that boots and try it in your kernel.
might work.
linux: #232767
visaris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the .config for the knoppix kernel. I made as few changes as I could manage to reasonably expect it to work with 2.6.11.11 on a K8. I'm building it now....
visaris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, didn't work.
visaris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's what I'm thinking... perhaps this is a hardware issue? Things work find with the 32-bit knoppix cd and don't work with a 64-bit kernel, so does this mean that one of my processors/cores is damages and doesn't work in 64-bit mode? I'm totally out of ideas here... can someone just help me brainstorm a bit? Just post your thoughts, right or wrong!

And has anyone else been able to boot the live cd with a dual-core AMD chip? Desktop / server?
visaris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is a hardware issue anymore. I swapped CPUs out and the kernel panic happens in the same place. I don't think it would make sense to say that my processors are damaged and don't work in 64-bit mode...
I thought there may be some odd kind of heat issue.. but CPU0 is at 31*C, and CPU1 is at 26*C...
It really seems like this is a kernel issue.

Ok, let me ask you this:

I thought the Gentoo live CD uses a kenerl that only has support for one processor? Is this true? Can someone verify that? It would help me in my effort to think about things..
AngryLlama
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the kernel versions used on those two live cds (ubuntu and knoppix)?
visaris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubuntu is UP only, no SMP support, so I'm not surprised it works. Knoppix uses the vanilla 2.6.11 kernel, which, btw, doesn't work when compiled for 64-bit SMP. Only seems to work 32-bit SMP.

This is what I have been able to find out:

Lots of people have this problem. It seems as though NONE of the vanilla kernels will work in SMP mode with a dual core Opteron CPU. Here are some links:

If only this wise fellow would tell the world what these patches are and where to get them:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/331566
Quote:
I have done a lot of testing with both dual core AMD systems and dual core Intel systems. A special kernel patch is needed to make these work in SMP mode otherwise you will have kernel panics everytime you try to boot.

This fellow has the same problem as I do:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0504.0/1335.html
Quote:
I am trying to get any kernel to boot on dual core Opteron. I have
tried with kernels 2.6.9-2.6.12-rc2 all with virtually the same panic.

Here is the output with 2.6.12-rc2:...

This redhat page says their new kernel adds dual-core AMD support:
https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2005-420.html
Quote:
New features introduced by this update include:
- AMD64 dual core support.

This guy also has the same problem as me:
http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t45621.html
Quote:
I have not been able to boot a 2.6.11 (Fedora core 3 x86_64) or Centos 4.0 (2.6.11) kernel because of a kernel panic: not syncing error. ... It's a dual opteron on a kw8e

I've been looking all over the place, and I just can't seem to find a fix. I am now downloading every distro out there to see who has AMD64 dual-core support. If I can find a distro that works, I may be able to rip off their kernel version and make it work with Gentoo.

Does anyone out there have AMD64 dual-core working? What kernel version do you have? What patches are you using, what is your .config? I know many, many, many people who have the same problem as me and will do anything for a fix....
AngryLlama
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any luck snarfing that kernel from SuSE or FC?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: