your home directory vesus /home
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Godsmacker777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: your home directory vesus /home Reply with quote

The *nix system sets all user-specific application data/settings in the particular user's home directory..where is this specified?

In other words..could I set the place where all of this "system" data is stored for user "jason" in a subdirectory of the user's home?

I know is sort of confusing so I will try to explain. I'm an organizational freak, and I would like to move all of the "application data" for my users (like .fbpanel .xchat .xinitrc, etc.) to another directory. I don't want to move my home directory..I want to keep /home/jason, but I want to put all of these files I am talking about in a subdir of /home/jason

so is there a way to set a system-wide default?

~thanks

I want to see signatures boasting 25 cpu clusters and blade severs, or a big 'ole onyx..anyone running gentoo on an onxy??
kabage
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Probably Reply with quote

But wouldnt it be easier to leave all the configuraton, mail desktop files so you dont have to configure every application
that uses them.

And move the rest of your files to a subdirectory.

But then I'm disorganized so what do I know.
falcon_za
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree this would be a nice thing to do. but I also don't know. I actualy think it's not perfectly possible, since many applications might not follow the global setting, and just put things in your home, since it is the common practice. too bad.

as far as I am concerned, i'd like to have only the following subdir in my home:
~/settings
~/trash
~/documents
~/desktop

and possibly:
~/download. though it might as well be a subdir of documents
~/applications could be nice for user-installed software. would probably use this on a system where i wouldn't be administrator
~/data could also be nice to put things like emails, bookmarks, game saves, and other kind of application specific stuff that is not a setting or a preference, but actual user data, which does come in the shape of a document.
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you could set your home directory to /home/user/settings (by editting /etc/passwd). I think that way all setting should be created there. Downside is that ~ and $HOME will also point there, which will make moving around from the commandline a bit more painfull.
Godsmacker777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm..

maybe I will edit /etc/password (set my user's home to /home/jason/settings), then I could edit my shell rc file to put me at /home/jason by default. That wouldn't be too bad.

Ideally I would like:

Code:

/home/jason/
              - settings
              - temp
              - trash
              - MyFiles

All application settings would go to "settings"; I use "temp" for temporary storage (like when veiwing a pdf or something); "trash" is (as it implies) a trash bin that gets emptied twice a week; lastly.. "MyFiles" has all of the other files that I store in my home dir (docs downloads config files etc).

I put all of my "data" like mp3s, movies, backups, and the like on a "data" partition. This resides in /mnt/

:O)

Quote:

But wouldnt it be easier to leave all the configuraton, mail desktop files so you dont have to configure every application that uses them.

I am not 100% sure about how this works..but I'd be willing to bet that it went something like this:
When you run an application as a user - say "jason" for instance - that process is being run by jason, and I believe that an application would use the variable $HOME for this user. Thus, the application would use /home/jason by default...I don't think this is set on an app by app basis. But maybe.

I want to see signatures boasting 25 cpu clusters and blade severs, or a big 'ole onyx..anyone running gentoo on an onxy??
limn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting idea.
You might want to have your shell rc only reset $HOME for interactive shells.
If you proceed with this, please update this topic with your experience.
Godsmacker777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will definitely update as I go..

so far I haven't had such great luck.

I changed my user's home in /etc/passwd, then I moved all hidden files/folders into the new "settings" dir:

Code:

mv .* settings

that was done from /home/jason/
so all of my application settings and what not were in /home/jason/settings

I relogged in and tested my work..unfortunately I had problems. Even worse..the fellas in the irc channels only replied with "why would you want to.."

I can't imagine even having that thought when using linux. Isn't "because I can" acceptable??

well anyway..I will work on this tonight and let you all know what's up.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: