View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dudinatrix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: emerge gnome xscreenshot - how long? Reply with quote

I'm a Linux first-timer, and just finished my Gentoo installation. Even got my wireless working using niswrapper.

I executed :emerge gnome xscreenshot

... any idea how long this is going to take? (Pentium M 1.7GHz, 1GB RAM) ... the screen just keeps scrolling and scrolling with goodness, occasionally downloading files (pardon my n00bness, I've never done this before!).. is this normal? I've tried looking online to see how long it takes, and have read anywhere from 5 hours to 2 days.

I've seen some people say like "it's on package 168 of 172" or something like that... how can I tell how far I am?? It's just scrolling like mad.

Oh, and I hope this isn't bad.. but in my make.config USE i put

Code:
USE="qt kde gtk gnome hal howl"

Is that bad to have both kde and gnome in there? I hope not.. I just did that because I intend to try both.
noup
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
I really think you should take a look at the information in Gentoo System Documentation. It contains the basics for managing your Gentoo environment.

Answering your question, you wanted to say "xscreensaver" instead of "xscreenshot" right?
What's happening is that both gnome and xscreensaver and their dependencies are being emerged, and since Gnome is such a big project (contains tons of dependencies), it will obviously take very long. You should have used instead:
Code:
#emerge -av gnome xscreensaver

so you could see which were the packages to be emerged.

You can keep the track of the packages currently being emerged by "cating" /var/log/emerge.log. A simpler way to view its end is to do
Code:
#tail /var/log/emerge.log
psylence
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not bad having KDE and Gnome use flags, you'll just most likely get kde-base and all of gnome. That is essentially the bulk of KDE, and all of Gnome, which are individually huge, together they form some kind of mega huge the likes of which have never been seen.

Kidding of course. I'll take a good 10 hours, maybe more for all that to finish... Barring errors of course. If memory serves, the "stable" howl doesn't even compile, so it'll break there, and you'll want to put

Code:
net-misc/howl ~x86

in your /etc/portage/package.keywords file.

Have fun, once you're done with all this any little updates or new installs you do will feel instant.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: