the case of the missing PCI Express
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: the case of the missing PCI Express Reply with quote

I have recently purchased one of these AMD64 dohickies, and it seems pretty nice. I must say my installation process has gone more smoothly, seemingly, than for others who have been posting around. The first problem I've had so far is with the n nvidia-kernel emerge.

It seems that the nvidia-kernel emerge cant build nvidia.ko. they're compile errors suggesting that the kernel i've build for the machine isn't configured correctly. such as, in function _get_phys_address, "structure has no member named 'pud' ".

Now here's the funny thing. I can't find pci express support in the kernel. I know it should be there, at least it was on the last 2.6.11 installation i did. In fact i just checked, and it certainy does have the option, although it's on a computer without pci express. And the agp section is wierd too, it doesn't seem like I can disable or enable it but i'm not sure, the layout is just new to me I think. But about the pci express thing, since it's not enabled, i though maybe that was the problem. (another of the errors was in a function dealing w/ agp).

I don't have agp on the mainboard.

Here's the computer:
Chaintech Zenith VE / vnf4 ultra (it's got an nForce4/ultra)
some ram
nvidia gf. 6600 , also manufactured by chaintech.
amd 3000+
pata disk
no sata or any funny stuff.

Even the reverse-engineered (evidently?) network stuff works like a charm but I'm stumped on the pci express thing and i don't really know where to go next. I didn't bother posting the exact errors because i figured i was missing something obvious. emerge syncing and then downloading new kernel now, hoping that'll help but if there's something I missed pleas point it out. Thanks, I appreciate.
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not you have PCI-express on the motherboard shouldn't have any effect on whether you can build it into a kernel... IOMMU support, under 'Processor Type and Features', also affects AGP options -- it enables the amd64's built-in AGP features, locking out some other options, see what happens when you disable it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: