AMD64 upgrade guide?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaoTzuTao
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: AMD64 upgrade guide? Reply with quote

I just today finally took the plunge and went out and bought me an Athlon64 3200, along with a Abit AV8 mobo. I guess I naively assumed a simple kernel recompile and some changes to make.conf and I'd be on my way. Well I figured I'd just go ahead and boot without altering anything to see what would happen, straight to a kernel panic. I tried the ide=poll, no go. I booted my 2005.0 cd and recomiled the kernel, changed cpu to athlon64, added the new sound, lan, etc, took out the old modules. Still kernel panic. Now I have downloaded the amd64 boot iso and its ready to go. I just reeeeally don't want to have to reinstall Gentoo for this, I haven't had to in probably 3 years now. Is there any possible way to somehow just upgrade semi smoothly to amd64? I've search the forums somewhat and looked through all the 64 handbook stuff but I didnt see any mention of how to go from32-64, just how to install from scratch. But its almost 1 AM and I'm tired so I could've missed something...Any help is appreciated as always.
NVidia GeForce 6800
Samsung Syncmaster 712n
kabage
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Probably the simplest thing Reply with quote

would be to install a new 64 bit system on another partition or harddrive, though the amd64 runs both
the the for all intents and purposes have to be seperated. Yes there are some 32 bit apps that will
run on a 64 bit system via emulation.

Just set up a new partition or harddrive, you will save yourself a lot of heartbreak, while still being
able to run your original system.

Which by the way your original system should have worked just fine with amd64, (not changing
kernel or system files.)

PS: One thing you can share is the DISTFILES, can be bound to both the 32, and 64 bit chroot
so you dont have to download all the files, you used on your 32 bit, and if your up to date.
There would only be a few to download.

Code:
mount -o bind /usr/portage/distfiles (path to where your building 64 bit system)/usr/portage/distfiles

If fact here is everthing I shared doing the opposite *building a 32bit gentoo , chrooted from a 64 bit
Code:
mount -o bind /proc source/proc
mount -o bind /sys source/sys
mount -o bind /dev source/dev
mount -o bind /dev/pts source/dev/pts
mount -o bind /usr/portage/distfiles source/usr/portage/distfiles
mount -o bind /tmp source/usr/tmp

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: