View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
games130
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: KDE vs GNOME Reply with quote

hi.. i was wondering which desktop enviroment is better KDE or GNOME??

anyway i have downloaded the install universal cd and the package cd version 2005.0

how do i install the KDE or GNOME?? i read the faq provided by the site but i do not understand it..
will i be needing the package cd??
with the package cd.. is there a way of installing everything on the package with just one command??

thanks!
mpsii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE vs GNOME Reply with quote

games130 wrote:
hi.. i was wondering which desktop enviroment is better KDE or GNOME??

anyway i have downloaded the install universal cd and the package cd version 2005.0

how do i install the KDE or GNOME?? i read the faq provided by the site but i do not understand it..
will i be needing the package cd??
with the package cd.. is there a way of installing everything on the package with just one command??

thanks!

You will need the package CD if you wish to not have to wait for the compilation of either environment. The tail end of the handbook mentions this.

However, once you have a bootable environment installed, you can simply type:
Code:
# emerge kde
or
# emerge gnome

Asking which one is better is a very inflammatory question since you have not asked "better at __________" (fill in the blank). Depending upon your needs/hardware/wants/desires/wishes/preferences/etc one will be more suitable/preferable for you.

I would suggest that you start with both and find which you are more comfortable with for whatever reasons (look/feel/configurability/ease of use/speed/etc). Get to know both and how they do what you need them to do on a day-to-day/regular basis. Once you have your environmental comfort level with both, find out what additional applications you might like about both or that can be added on with the native libraries (QT for KDE and GTK for Gnome).

Then, once you have chosen one of the two, you might broaden your horizons and try out IceWM, XFCE4, Enlightenment, Openbox, Fluxbox, FVWM, or many of the alternative window managers/desktop environments. After all, you can always use most any application in any environment.
Schooner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: My opinion Reply with quote

Keep in mind that I am somewhat of a noob... but here is my opinion.

I prefer KDE. It has a fairly intuitive interface now (unlike before) and there seem to be a lot more developpers working on apps for KDE than there are for Gnome. It takes a bit longer to get your bearings with KDE than it does with Gnome, but the increased configurability and functionality are well worth the effort.

If you are a noob and find that every time you touch a config file you mess something up (like I used to)... then you might want to go with Gnome. You can configure Gnome quite a bit if you want to, but generally speaking I find it to be a much simpler interface.

For first time Linux users, I would probably suggest Gnome. It gives you a quick and easy desktop interface. Once you get familiar with Linux, you'll definately want to give KDE a try. You can customize the heck out of it... if anything... it's configurability could be a problem in that you will never be satisfied with your setup... :-)

Just my opinion...
dmartin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is burn a copy of Knoppix (KDE Live CD) and the Ubuntu Live CD (Gnome Live CD). Boot to one, try it for a while, boot to the other, try it for a while. After you decide which you prefer, come back to Gentoo and build it.

My preference is Gnome. But if you ask a hundred people which desktop they prefer, you'll see it's very split. Linux is about choosing what *you* like best, as opposed to being stuck without a choice in some other operating systems. Don't let anyone make the choice for you.
thewally
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE vs GNOME Reply with quote

mpsii wrote:

However, once you have a bootable environment installed, you can simply type:
Code:
# emerge kde
or
# emerge gnome

I suggest
Code:
# emerge kde-meta
instead of kde.
New kde splitted ebuilds are more comfortable then olter monolitic ebuilds: you can simply install or upgrade what you need...not entire kde...:D

The Wally
YourDoom123
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't been using gentoo/linux for very long...

I prefer kde to gnome, because for me, its easier to configure, closer to windows (so i can get my bearings more easily), and every thing just seems more intuitve over all.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: