Installing Windows after Linux - Partitioning Help Please
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanR33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Installing Windows after Linux - Partitioning Help Please Reply with quote

Hi, I'm trying to install Windows following the guide on the Wiki - http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Windows_after_Gentoo

I've got to 'Shrinking the partition' and now I'm stuck, how do I go about it and what does it mean? Is there an easier/more trouble free way of resizing a partition?

Any help appreciated, thanks.
kurtwisener
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would backup Gentoo and zero-fill the drive. Then install Windows and build Gentoo around it. It may take a little longer but in my experience it is eminently safer and more stable. Otherwise, you pretty much have to follow the HOWTO verbatim. Sorry, wish I were a little more helpful.

-Kurt

* "The Way We Live Now: Questions for Linus Torvalds", New York Times, 2003-09-28.
CooDy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with kurtwisener. You should back up a partition then resize it, its much easier, and you probably have more than one partition, so you can easily copy things from one partition to another, it takes a bit of time, but then you will be able to repartition your system easily. Personally I would do it like this since its much safer and should not take up more than half an hour more than resizing, except if you have massive amounts of data on your disks.
DanR33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the problem, I've got 3 HDD's - 2 of them are 160gb and both full, the other is 120gb and has 30gb free so I've got no room to shift data around and backup... I just wanted to take 5 or so gb from it to install Windows on so I could play some games that don't work in Cedega :(

Oh well, when this HDD is full I'll get a PCI IDE controller and another HDD then install Windows on it before I do anything else :(
gmalleus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I need help in this area too.

I was following the same guide, got my file system resized but trying to figure out how to shrink the actual partition size so I can create a new partition at the end of the drive.
had the following setup:
/dev/hda1 - boot - 64mb
/dev/hda2 - swap - 1 gig
/dev/hda3 - root - 58.9 gigs

resized the root partition down to 43 gigs. parted says the filesystem is 43 gigs but the partition is still 58 gigs. how do i resize the partition as to create space for a new one?
gmalleus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figured it out,
hopfully this will help you DanR33.

I was stuck at the same point, i knew that i had shrunk my filesystem but the partition was still at full size. I ended up just using cfdisk to delete the partition, created one that started at the exact spot where the one i just deleted was and that was large enough to encompass the filesystem. This frred up space at the end of my drive for me to install windows.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: