Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
gentoo 1.2 to 1.4 & gcc 2.95 & gcc 3.2 ..help!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gordonNgentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: gentoo 1.2 to 1.4 & gcc 2.95 & gcc 3.2 ..help!! Reply with quote

I've had trouble with gentoo 1.4 r2, specifically it hangs on the liveCd. Previous posts instructed me to use 1.2, and I did. In 1.2, I notice gcc is 2.95. My question is, when I do emerge sync and bootstrap it, will i automatically have gcc 3.2 after the process completes?

I've read that I can boot off 1.2, download the stage1 of 1.4 and continue. Now, knowing I previously had problem with 1.4, will this be a problem for me down the road? Second question, if I choose this route, to go from 1.2 to 1.4 by using the above steps, do I follow the instructions outlined in the 1.2 or 1.4 installation manual? I suspect I should follow 1.4 because the paths maybe a little different and probably there may be new commands.
Thanks, -Gordon
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: gentoo 1.2 to 1.4 & gcc 2.95 & gcc 3.2 ..help!! Reply with quote

gordonNgentoo wrote:
My question is, when I do emerge sync and bootstrap it, will i automatically have gcc 3.2 after the process completes?

depends on the tarball not the bootdisk... u can 'use' gcc 3.2 on gentoo 1.2 afaik but its not trivial and everything concerning the gentoo system is compiled with 2.95... i cannot advice doing that

Quote:

I've read that I can boot off 1.2, download the stage1 of 1.4 and continue. Now, knowing I previously had problem with 1.4, will this be a problem for me down the road?

depends on the problems u had - if the only problem u got is the installation cd - there is no problem u only need it for the installation 8)

Quote:
Second question, if I choose this route, to go from 1.2 to 1.4 by using the above steps, do I follow the instructions outlined in the 1.2 or 1.4 installation manual? I suspect I should follow 1.4 because the paths maybe a little different and probably there may be new commands.
Thanks, -Gordon

u suspect correctly ;)
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To install 1.2 proper, you'd have to download a 1.2 tarball and take the installation from there. Only then will you end up with a system that has gcc 2.95. Upgrading that to 3.2 is a little more complex, but feasible if you follow the instructions here: Gentoo 1.4 Upgrade Guide. The much easier route is of course to boot from a Gentoo 1.2 CD or any other fairly recent Linux boot medium you may have (including Slackware or RedHat floppies or the Knoppix CD), get the network up and running, download the 1.4 tarball and bootstrap from that. No matter what you booted from, your resulting system will always be Gentoo Linux 1.4, with gcc 3.2 and everything.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: