Problems with Promise Ultra66/100 Cards
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Langly1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Problems with Promise Ultra66/100 Cards Reply with quote

Ive got several systems with the Promise Ultra66/100 cards in them, and the cd does not correctly see the drives size on them, nor can it write to them
lspci shows it as "0000:00:09.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. PDC20262 (FastTrak66/Ultra66) (rev 01)"
Any fdisk attempt on both the system with a ultra66 and a ultra100 gives me
Building a new DOS disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them. after that ofcourse the previous content wont be recoverable"
"Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by w(rite)"
and any attempt to write a new DOS disklabel gives me ""Unable to write /dev/hda"
Its getting frusterating fast, my main system that i plan to move from windows to linux on it has the ultra100

Im a linux newbie, know a bit, but no where near enough to deal with this. No modules for it either with modprobe -l, some for sata promise cards and one thats closely numbered but doesnt work, ive tried it.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, devices connected to your motherboard's IDE channels will be called /dev/hda /dev/hdb /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd. Devices connected to an add-on IDE controller like your Promise card will be called /dev/hde /dev/hdf /dev/hdg and /dev/hdh.

I'm betting /dev/hda is your cdrom drive (that is why it is read-only).

The easiest way to list detected harddrives, and find out what their device names are, is to use fdisk without specifying a device.
Code:
# fdisk -l
Langly1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it is /dev/hde heh although i guess it did the same on my other machine, i tried /dev/hdd thinking that would be my 4th harddrive, must have been my cd-rom too.

Got the run around on irc, everything from compile the module right by people who overlooked the fact i lkept mentioning a fresh install, and several people trying to help me get the right module with modprobe, but thats it, its /dev/hde on that system. heh

Prob is its a mini pc, with mini 46 pin proprietary cables for the harddrive, it doesnt have a cd-rom, and ive only got 1 cable, and it will only boot from cd with its id card so had to add the card in to get it to work.

just need it for a low end terminal where i dont have much space.

Again thanks, thats the prob.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: