View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: kde login Reply with quote

whenever i log in to kde i am as root. i heard that you were not supposed to do this. how do i log in as a user. i have made an account but whenever i try to startx, it isn;t kde its just the boring X stuff. how do i log to kde as a user? also, how do i go about updating kde 3.3 to 3.4?

thanks
Bonkie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either edit .xinitrc in your homedirectory and put in there

Code:
exec startkde

provided that the startkde command is in your path (else you must put /path/to/kde). Or you statx at boot and let session manager control your login (you can auto-login someone in KDE, dunno about GNOME, just check KDE's control center)

Code:
rc-update add xdm default

then edit /etc/rc.conf and change the DISPLAYMANAGER parameter into whatever you want (xdm | kdm | gdm ), although if you use KDE, I'd recommend kdm ;)
kiss-o-matic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can always switch to that user before you type 'startx'.
The King
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

bonkie, could you elaborate a bit, i am still a little new to this. soory it took me so long to respond, my power was out.

ps. updating kde 3.3 to 3.4?

also when trying to add kdm to default, it says, /ec/init.d/kdm not found; aborting.

it will add xdm fine but not kdm. how do i fix this?
The King
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: should probably tell you Reply with quote

i should probably letyou know that I installed kde from a package cd. i can only log in to kde as root. when trying to do so as user, i get the really boring gui.
Bonkie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it helps if you be more specific. What do you do exactly, and where are you exactly when you do it. This is guessing what Im doing ... Then it helps to actually read what Im saying, I never said to rc-update kdm !! Anyway, here it is again:

So, you cannot add kdm or gdm to default runtime, you must do this
Code:
rc-update add xdm default

and THEN edit (as root) /etc/rc.conf and look for DISPLAYMANAGER, it should be kdm instead of xdm
Code:
DISPLAYMANAGER=kdm

Then kdm will start up at boot (the rc-update makes sure x starts up, the other is for setting kdm)
But thats assuming you dont have X starting at boot ...

So,
if you do a console login as user, and want to start KDE manually, you have to create/edit .xinitrc and put in there
Code:
exec /path/to/startkde

look up path startkde command by doing:
Code:
whereis startkde

And if that still dont work, ill read it here ;-) But next time, be more specific
The King
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: whoops Reply with quote

:)sorry about that, guess i should have read over it more thoroughly hehehe
thanks for everything.

ps. i should probablt start another thread, but this wuestion isn;t worth it. what is the latest stable version of kde? i thought it was 3.4. i have 3.3. how do i update to 3.4 if it is in fact the latest?
Bonkie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kde 3.4 is still marked unstable, so if you run stable (like x86) you'll have to wait, or mark all kde packages unstable ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: