1)seeks clear explaination 2) contine after point of failure
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gordonNgentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:59 am    Post subject: 1)seeks clear explaination 2) contine after point of failure Reply with quote

I have two questions.

Question #1

Can someone please explain all of the following in easy to understand and in some detail and give REASONS for each step??) In particular the

" mount -o bind /proc ..."
" chroot.........."
"env-update "
"source ........"

I know the first 2 lines, but I'd like to know the rest.. I'm asking this for educational purposes..

# cd /mnt/gentoo
# tar -xvjpf /mnt/cdrom/gentoo/stage?-*.tbz2
# mount -o bind /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
# cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf

Code listing 9.3: Entering the chroot Environment

# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
# env-update
Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
# source /etc/profile

Question #2

In the event of a power failure on my computer and that's just right after the computer have SUCCESSFULLY done the script/bootstrap.sh. When I reboot with the liveCD, where do I begin? and yes, the instruction was rather vague.

Do I do the following again?
ifconfig $IFACE $IPNUM broadcast $BCAST netmask $NMASK
/sbin/route add -net default gw $GTWAY netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1
nano etc/resolv.conf ...

swapon /dev/hda2 //assuming hda2 is the swap partition.
mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot

then do the following below? --again, let's assume the power went out at the spot previously mentioned. I just wish the documentation can give some EXAMPLES INSTEAD OF DOING A FEW HAND WAVING!!! Clearity is key.

# export CONFIG_PROTECT="-*"
# emerge -p system
[lists the packages to be installed]
# emerge system

Thank You.
David_Escott
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mount is a command that connects parts of the filesystem together, unlike windows with its different driver a: b: c: etc unix has one filesystem which is in the form of a tree with its root at / and other partitions or drives mounted at locations inside it, for instance /boot is a file on slash but when you mount /boot /dev/hda1 the first partition on the primary ide device is connected to the /boot directory and references to /boot/path/to/some/file are transparently redirected to the appropriate location on /boot. The bind option is a special variation to allow already mounted partitions to be "seen" at multiple locations.

chroot provides a unique environment which prevents programs (and users) in that environment from reaching below the root point. For instance if one runs chroot /mnt/gentoo from withing /mnt/gentoo they will find that there is nothing beneath /mnt/gentoo and that they are unable to access that portion of the filesystem, this is used to provide gentoo with an appropriate environment for bootstrapping the system, so that portage does not attempt to write the files it will be merging onto the cd drive which is at / but instead to the gentoo partition at /mnt/gentoo

env-update is a script that tells protage to update itself and is needed at various times to make sure that portage is configured properly when some significant configuration related changes have been made.

source is a command to the shell (bash) that tells bash to run another script and save the changes that script makes to the environment to the current session. (The environment is a number of variables that affect how programs will act you can see your environment by running `env`)
Sargonas
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1)seeks clear explaination 2) contine after point of fai Reply with quote

gordonNgentoo wrote:
I have two questions.
<snip>
Question #2

In the event of a power failure on my computer and that's just right after the computer have SUCCESSFULLY done the script/bootstrap.sh. When I reboot with the liveCD, where do I begin? and yes, the instruction was rather vague.

Do I do the following again?
ifconfig $IFACE $IPNUM broadcast $BCAST netmask $NMASK
/sbin/route add -net default gw $GTWAY netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1
nano etc/resolv.conf ...

swapon /dev/hda2 //assuming hda2 is the swap partition.
mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot

then do the following below? --again, let's assume the power went out at the spot previously mentioned. I just wish the documentation can give some EXAMPLES INSTEAD OF DOING A FEW HAND WAVING!!! Clearity is key.

# emerge -p system
# emerge system

<snip>
Thank You.

You would have to do ifconfig, and all the mounting again. You will have to do this anytime you boot from the liveCD. You would have then start right from where you said in your post ie:

( if it has been awhile since you started you might want to emerge sync to get the lastest portage files )
# emerge -p system
# emerge system

good luck! And if you think the documentation is sketchy this is the key place to be as I have found this forum to be the most helpful forum of any distribution I have ever use (somewhere around 6 or 8 now)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: