Thinking of making the jump to wine-x
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Thinking of making the jump to wine-x Reply with quote

I'm about ready to free up the 8 gig of Hard drive space that windows is occupying and replace it with Wine-x. Now, a few questions to people already running this program:

1) Are there any DirectX games it doesn't run?

2) How much does it cost?

3) Any trouble getting games to work?

4) Was it worth buying?
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably mean Cedega ?

Check www.transgaming.com and forums for details. Few threads in here for specific games.... some work some don't. So check depending which game you plan to play. There is the free option of Wine too.

Happy WoW player here with cedega :)
-=GGW=- $ol!d $n4>|e
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there a plenty of games it doesnt run by default, but usually with some standart tweaking the run fine, biggest game it doesnt run now in my opinion is guildwars but they almost have that working, I would wait about a month in a half for directx9wine to get better, its already about as good as cedega in my opinion, if not better ^ ^ definantly runs some stuff better than cedega for me, and its free and opensource 8)
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I get some info on Directx9wine?
wacati
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What games do you intend to play? I switched over and stopped using Windows a few years ago. At the time, I was really into gaming but I basically gave up on it and switched over (not many games worked at the time). If you intend to switch over (now isn't a bad time since there is more and more support for games now) then I'd like to give my experience/view on this.

For the most part, most games will not work, especially the lesser known games. Sometimes (with a lot of effort), you can get a game to work but it doesn't happen that often. If you plan to play the more popular games only, then they will have a much better chance of working and being supported. But for the most part, most random games you try will not work. Also, when the games do work, you will most likely encounter many minor bugs. Games will rarely work flawlessly. However, when games DO work well, it's a really great experience. If you are a casual gamer that likes to play the really popular games (or even a fairly hardcore gamer, as long as you are only playing the popular games), then you will most likely be able to switch over with not many troubles. If you are really into all kinds of games and you like to try everything or you are really into some niche games, then it might not be a good idea to switch over. It can also be helpful to have access to a Windows computer (it does not have to be your main computer or a dual boot).

As for GuildWars, it runs quite well, imo. The only issue for me is that the map warping does not work (which gets very annoying) but there are workarounds... (like just running across the maps or using a windows computer to warp =x).

You can find some information about the DirectX Wine from this thread:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-339105-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-0.html
-=GGW=- $ol!d $n4>|e
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, wether or not guildwars works is really dependant on ur video card, if you have an nvidia besides 5950 or a 5700 then your good to go, but ati's and those 2 nvidia cards have texture problems, loading problems, issues with vertext shaders and such, but it's usually possible to get unpopular games to work, i find for some reason cedega 4.1.1 has incredibly good support for install programs, lots of games that wont install on the latest cedega install flawlessly on 4.1.1 i'm not sure what they changed, but it broke a lot of installs :)
wacati
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played Guild Wars with a GeForce DDR (first generation GeForce) and an FX5700LE. I've never tried ATI cards. There was a patched cvscedega for Lineage2 a while back and it had a texture patch. Using that, textures would show up properly in Guildwars. With regular cedega, the textures were always black.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: