OpenMosix-style clustering for PowerPC?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttuttle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: OpenMosix-style clustering for PowerPC? Reply with quote

I have found a potential source for relatively cheap Macs (300 MHz G3's, 64 MB RAM, for $10 each--not for sure yet), and I'm interested in picking up a few (3-5) and building a small cluster--just because any Gentoo user who can should have a cluster in his basement.

My question to the PPC forum is: Does an equivalent to openMosix, which allows processes to migrate between computers to spread load out, exist for the ppc arch? openMosix unfortunately exists only for IA-32, and I haven't found anything that seems to offer similar capabilities. I could use things like distcc or my own scripts to distribute jobs, but I'd rather have a system with the "one big computer" facade on it to make things easier.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Tom
shaggs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into it, and, i couldn't really find much for *mosix style clustering. I have an 8 node openmosix cluster for X86, and was going to try and add my g3 beige, and my ibook, but, openmosix doesn't support ppc, and doesn't really care to from what i read. Mosix may, but i haven't checked. Let me know if you find anything out, I'd love to add more nodes to my cluster...Should be up to 10 nodes by the end of the weekend....
ttuttle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have an 8 node openmosix cluster for X86, and was going to try and add my g3 beige, and my ibook, but, openmosix doesn't support ppc, and doesn't really care to from what i read.

Huh?!

How? You can't take a cluster of x86 boxen and add ppc boxen. Think about it--the cluster runs by migrating threads between computers over the network. That only works if the machine code (the binaries) run on both processors. It would be the equivalent of trying to build a box with two Pentium 4's and two G5's.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: