problem with gstreamer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blendmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: problem with gstreamer Reply with quote

hi all, im having a problem getting anything gstreamer based to work. for instance, rhythmbox will open all right, but when you try to add anything to the library, it gives errors: "Failed to create gnomevfssrc element" for each file i tried to add. with sound juicer, it starts up but then just exits with a message: "Could not start Sound Juicer
Reason: Cannot find any suitable encoders.
Please consult the documentation for assistance."

muine exits with "An error occurred:

Failed to initialize the audio backend:
Failed to create GstPlay object

Exiting..."

and more of the same with totem. another related thing is in gstreamer preferences, all the tests for the pipelines exit with a "Failed to construct test pipeline for" whatever message. also, gnome panel volume control doesn't work. gnome mixer exits with "Sorry, no mixer elements and/or devices found". note that xmms and anything not gnome or gstreamer works fine. i have tried using the ~x86 builds of gstreamer, but it still doesn't work.

also, since i just fixed my firefox installation by cleaning out my profile, i was wondering if there could be some obseleted preferences somewhere that might cause gstreamer to not work. if u know how i could clear preferences, tell me.
geforce 6600gt

Last edited by blendmaster on Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
PiniHadad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: problem with gstreamer Reply with quote

blendmaster wrote:
another related thing is in gstreamer preferences, all the tests for the pipelines exit with a "Failed to construct test pipeline for" whatever message.

What tests did you try?

blendmaster wrote:
also, since i just fixed my firefox installation by cleaning out my profile, i was wondering if there could be some obseleted preferences somewhere that might cause gstreamer to not work. if u know how i could clear preferences, tell me.

What do you mean you cleaned out your profile?
blendmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the first one, i tried them all. here are the specific results.

audio
default sink(alsasink) :: Failed to construct test pipeline for 'ALSA - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture'
default source(alsasrc) :: Failed to construct test pipeline for 'ALSA - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture'
video
default sink(ximagesink) :: Failed to construct test pipeline for 'Ascii Art - X11'
default source(videotestsrc) :: Failed to construct test pipeline for 'MJPEG (e.g. Zoran v4l device)'

and on the second question, i just mean that i deleted the profile folder in ~/.mozilla/firefox. i was wondering if there was some place like that that gstreamer keeps its preferences in.
geforce 6600gt
ultraViolet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried an emerge gst-plugins ?
Take a look at this thread :

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2487724.html#2487724
blendmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i emerged gst-plugins and it didn't help. i also upgraded to gnome 2.10 today and it still doesn't work. i even clerared out everything gnome and gstreamer related in my home directory but it still doesn't work.
geforce 6600gt
blendmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after running revdep-rebuild, it looks like gstreamer-6.4 is still installed. the problem is though that i can't prune it because all the gstreamer 6 series ebuilds were removed from portage. it there any way i can unmerge them still?
geforce 6600gt
blendmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after running a emerge -uDp --newuse world, i finally got totem to work, sound video and everything. i think its because i didn't use the gstreamer use flag because everything else gstreamer related, like muine, rhythmbox, gnome volume control, and stuff like that still give the same errors. since gstreamer-6.4 is still installed, it might not be working because of that. also, there was a difference in how sound juicer acted when i launched. instead of going straight to a "Could not start Sound Juicer

Reason: The plugin necessary for CD access was not found.
Please consult the documentation for assistance."

it goes to a box that says "The currently selected audio profile is not available on your installation." and two buttons to either quit or change profile. if u click change profile, it goes to the preferences screen, and you can change stuff, but once u close the preferences screen, it quits with the plugin neceessary error. absolutly no console output either.

if someone knows where i can find a gstreamer-6.4 ebuild, tell me so i can unmerge the old version.
geforce 6600gt
blendmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i unmerged both gstreamer-6.4 and gst-plugins-6.4 by downloading the tar files from the official gstreamer site and doing a make uninstall. i also deleted /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.6 . after that, i remerged gstreamer and gst-plugins and rhythmbox and sound-jucier. unfortunatly, it didn't change anything.
geforce 6600gt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: