View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CooKies37
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: weird time problems... Reply with quote

hi, i am dual-boot my toshiba laptop with Gentoo and Winxp...i have successfully install gentoo...and emerge KDE...but i discover something really weird and funny..

why the time is not accurate each time i login into KDE environment? meaning that, the time is not correct in KDE...and i try to adjust it, but after adjust when i boot into my winxp, now the winxp's time is wrong already...ok, i adjust it again in winxp.....now boot into gentoo....yee?! the time of gentoo wrong again....... why???!!!

i really don' understand why my winxp and gentoo's time always cannot sync..?

sorry, i am a newbie here...so hope can get some advice on this....thanks..!
koroumel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about it, you have a time and a time-zone set in your bios. In linux you possibly have a different time zone telling your linux that it should add 2 hours from UTC. But this time is not the same with your old bios setting anymore, so you change it to another. Now your bios, has the old timezone and a different time setting. You load up to windows, you see that the time is wrong because windows will look to the bios time-zone and add the hours that will addapt it to the timezone set in windows. This is no more the time setting you want, so you change it. Now you have the old timezone in bios, but with a different time setting than in linux... so you login to linux, you see the different time, you change it...........................

The solution is (at least works for me). Set the bios time-zone to your actual time-zone and set the time, now in both your OSs, set the time-zone to be "current", or manually set it to "+0" hours.

Another way, set your bios to UTC time-zone, and in the OSs, set your actual time zone.The OS will add the number of hours to the bios time setting to adapt it to your time-zone, though this is more risky to my way of thinking.

Hop I helped!
Registered Linux User No #242616
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: