the mac mini server.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nyx_au
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: the mac mini server. Reply with quote

I have just got me a mac mini to run as my home webserver/mail server..... Was initially going to run darwin, but ive cracked it with it and im moving back to gentoo...

However, the purpose for this post is to ask nothing more than feedback on the mac mini, and before you say, yes ive read the forum posts on the mac mini already ;)

Basically after feedback on use flags, what people use thier mac mini's for with gentoo, any "gotcha's" anyone had during thier install and setup.

I plan to run this machine headless with gentoo, was looking at putting a usb serial adapter on it, and a serial cable to my workstation as the primary console... anyone done this? ;)

anyways, feedback would rock :) if not, ill post my pain over the weekend ;)

- nyx
silian87
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use serial console.... why don't you use a ssh or telnet session to comunicate with the mac mini? (all over ethernet)

Silian87 FAQs: http://marentax.homelinux.org/~silian87/silian87-faq.txt

GTalk: silian87@gmail.com
nyx_au
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silian87 wrote:
Use serial console.... why don't you use a ssh or telnet session to comunicate with the mac mini? (all over ethernet)

i will use ssh, the serial will be just so its headless, if ssh dies, or the machine craps out, dont have to run and find a keyboard and a mouse straight away, i have another way to get to it...

but ill work it out ;)
sktrdie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a mac-mini for a home server is the perfect thing... if I were you I would also attach it to a TV to watch Xvids and DVDs.. and do other stuff.. like music, and at the same time run any kind of server.

If you're having any problems installing take a look at this: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-ppc-faq.xml

I guess everything works fine on the mac-mini and gentoo.. let us know.
terminallymortal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing just about the same thing except I've got usb to a usb switch that then goes to ps2 for keyboard and mouse, but I won't get into that.

here are my flags:
CFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=G4 -mtune=G4 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -maltivec -mabi=altivec -mpowerpc-gfxopt"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=G4 -mtune=G4 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -maltivec -mabi=altivec -mpowerpc-gfxopt"

oaaltone offers his fstab, yaboot and kernel config as well as setting up a vnc server:
http://aaltonen.us/archive/2005/02/11/linux-on-the-mac-mini/

The only real "gotcha" I ran into was configuring a preemptible kernel - I was new to linux ppc and learned this the hard way (why can't emerge compile packages anymore? heh) So make sure CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set.

If you poke around you can find examples of enabling the dri video acceleration, but if you don't have X it'll be of no use to you... (sound as well)

They're great little boxes, nice and snappy, perfect for a headless webserver.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terminallymortal wrote:

The only real "gotcha" I ran into was configuring a preemptible kernel - I was new to linux ppc and learned this the hard way (why can't emerge compile packages anymore? heh) So make sure CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set.
Try CONFIG_PREEMPT combined with CONFIG_SMP

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: