installing gentoo non-locally
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ishkabob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: installing gentoo non-locally Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Here's the deal. I have a Sun Ultra 10 workstation at work running solaris 8. I cant stand it! Im not allowed to install another operating system, just software on the home drive.
Ive tried various methods of building a nice livecd, but non are dumbed down enough for a user like me. The only thing I havent tried yet is building a livecd with catalyst. But I would have to build it on my x86 machine, and that would complicate things beyond my realm of knowledge.

My next thought is this: I use the universal livecd to boot into a basic gentoo, ssh into my system at home, chroot into a folder on that drive, and use portage to install some software to the drive at home, namely gdm, X.org, gnome, and firefox, which is all i need at work. I know it wouldnt be fast, but at least it would work. And considering how crappy the cd drive is on this sparc machine, it probably wouldnt be too bad.

Then, whenever i wanted to run gentoo on the sun, i could just use the livecd to boot, and run gnome manually from the command line.

Is this possible? Pointers and tips are greatly appreciated.
ishkabob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I don't know if I understood your purpose fully, but I think that you would be better served with a live-cd or live-dvd such as [k|g]noppix that works with SUN hardware. This way, you would run the distribution from the cd/dvd, install some files or save your documents under /home and could connect to your home computer or any other computer to do anything different.
I hope this is what you're talking about. I'm sorry, but I don't know if there is any live-cd or live-dvd that runs on Ultra10 workstations.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
ishkabob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would LOVE a livecd knoppix or gnoppix installation. The problem is that I haven't found a single distribution that has a livecd for the sparc architecture. If you someone knows of one please tell me. Or if there is another way to accomplish what I want, that's welcome also. I have also found that I have some space on this workstation that I can use (about 4 gig), but I can't edit the Master Boot Record. So, I could theoretically install some stuff on the hard drive and just use the gentoo boot cd to manually it. I could, for example, install gnome on this hard drive and use the gentoo boot cd to run X and start gnome. Thanks for the replies!
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you should also make this questions in the Gentoo on Sparc forum, shouldn't you? :wink:
People there are more likely to give you an answer.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
Alex Ludd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should install gentoo on another computer and remote boot.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And read http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-sparc-faq.xml and http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-sparc.xml

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: