anyone with similar VFS errors?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magnumPI
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: anyone with similar VFS errors? Reply with quote

Ok so I've seen numerous problems from people with SATA drives. I myself have tried to install gentoo on a dell dimension. I went the easy way (stage 3 using genkernel, because I just wanted to get it up and running). I followed everything step by step and first tried GRUB. When i selected Gentoo, it seemed as if it was mounting and opening, but then it reached an error message about not being able to find the root partition (in this case real_root="/dev/sda3"). So with GRUB i kept getting that darn problem. Now its a week later. I formatted the disk and started from scratch, recompiled and everything. This time i installed LILO. now i think I'm getting similar problems. keep in mind that i used genkernel, so my conf file may look different than yours, but it looks exactly how it is in the handbook(except for hda which was switched to sda):

Code:

boot=/dev/sda
prompt
timeout=50
default=gentoo

image= /boot/kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r3
label=gentoo
read-only
root=/dev/ram0
append="init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda3 udev"
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.11-gentoo-r3

afterwards i ran /sbin/lilo. i exited, unmounted, then rebooted. after going through the bootloader, the BIOS data check is successful, but then i run into this:

Code:

>> Mounting Filesystems...
>> Activating udev...
>> Determining root devices...
>> Block device /dev/sda3 is not a valid root device...
>> The root block device is unspecified or not detected.
Please specify a device to boot, or "shell" for a shell...
boot()::

Installing gentoo has been a pain in the ass for 2 weeks at work now (they gave this job to the intern...me!) someone please help me, or at least tell me I'm not the only one with this problem lol. thanks.[/code]
magnumPI
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ran it again to see what drivers, etc were being loaded...seemed like all the sata drivers were loaded successfully, except for this one:

Code:
scanning for sata_vitesse...  module not found

hope this helps.[/code]
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had a good time with genkernel and SATA. Compiling a kernel myself, though, worked perfectly.

Since you've already used genkernel you could do is use the config file that genkernel uses as a guide.

go to /usr/src/linux and do "make menuconfig"

Find out which SATA driver is used for your controller. In the SATA driver section remove the drivers you won't use and include support (as a built-in, not as a module) for that driver.
Then make sure /boot is mounted and do "make && make modules_install && make install"

Now a kernel is installed as /boot/vmlinuz and you can change your lilo.conf entry to look like this:

Code:
image= /boot/vmlinuz
label=gentoo
read-only
root=/dev/sda3 udev"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: