Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why don't you support your favourite platform ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reub2000
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of those games doen't intrest me. Maybe if it where something more, like a blizzard game, half-life 2, or something like that.

I do love ut2004.
petteyg359
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Why don't you support your favourite platform ? Reply with quote

[quote="wolf31o2"]
duglambier wrote:
Serious gamers, the ones that spend lots of money on gaming, run Windows. Casual gamers, the ones who pick up a game every now and then, run Windows. The only people that run Linux games are Linux users, whom occasionally game. It's that simple.

Not true. I deleted windows a few weeks ago, and all I use Gentoo for is for mostly gaming.
jkomar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Why don't you support your favourite platform ? Reply with quote

petteyg359 wrote:
Not true. I deleted windows a few weeks ago, and all I use Gentoo for is for mostly gaming.

That's great to hear!

Jason
stobbsm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have 2 partitions, 1 Windows, 1 Redhat.

Then, I started using just Windows again, and it made me feel dirty. Then I found a program called Cedega, and started researching different games with Linux clients.

I use Gentoo now. I only use Gentoo, and will probably only use Gentoo from now on. I play the games I want, whether they have Linux clients or not, and have no major problems.

If I here of a Linux game, and it interests me, I'll try it as a demo first (if I can). I don't buy games I didn't try before hand. This leads to another problem, cause most of the time Linux clients arn't advertised, and the demo doesn't have one.

So, I play games, I buy games. If it has a linux client, great. If not, I'll emulate it untill there is a better solution.
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a huge gamer. My main rig is fairly impressive and can handle any game I throw at it. It only runs Linux. I also have a Mac Mini (1.42Ghz model with 1gb Corsair low latency RAM) and obviously it dosn't have enough power to play the likes of Doom3, etc. I do not run Windows at all. It has been quite a few years since I have run Windows. I actually feel strange sitting in front of a Windows box. If a game has a Linux version coming I WAIT. I will not buy a windows copy of a game that will have a linux release. It is exactly how a person buying a game for their Windows machine won't buy a game made for Linux or Mac or someone buying a game for the XBox won't buy the PS2 version. Now, that dosn't apply to games that simply release binaries after the game is released. You really don't have a choice in that case. For me it is not so much about getting games onto Linux as it is about finding games that I like that are available or will be available on Linux. I am thankful to the developers that keep us in mind and I am very content with the games I have. Any game that I have wanted that I can't find for Linux tends to have a Mac version. So I own a couple Mac games as well. That is how I get my AOE fill.

If I absolutely have to have a game and I can't get it for Linux and it is too much for my mini or isn't available on Mac either... I look for a console version. I have a ton of game consoles.
MNKyDeth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaming on Linux is good imo but I do agree about the comments toward Cedega in the sense that it does kill off any native ports that may come our way otherwise (*cough* WoW *cough*)

Anyways, I own over half of what tuxgames sells and am a proud owner and collecter of native Linux games. It'll be like baseball cards one day I think >.o

I gave up my over 80+ windows games at the time 2 yrs ago to go strictly Linux native. To be honest I havn't played any other game besides Savage for the past 2 yrs or since it was released as I was in the beta for it cause of my pre-order on tuxgames.

I think (personally feelings here) Cedega should be wiped out to force people into using windows and once the game companies realize how many sales they are loosing cause of it the bigger ones like Blizzard will actually make the native ports we so desire.

Windows only game = no sale from me ever.... They want another $50 or so then they'll port it and they will also get the money from other interested linux users.

Since I am a collecter of linux native commercial games I will buy most anything. I mean, I have railraod tycoon 2 still sealed in a box cause I know I'll never play it or enjoy it.

my 2c :)
stobbsm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one problem with that reasoning.

I'm sure alot of people would not buy games anymore if cedega were taken out of the picture. That would encourage others to reinstall Windows to keep playing games.

If I have a way to avoid Windows, but still play the games I want to play, I'm gonna take it. Otherwise, I probably would leave a little room for windows to play games.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see more Linux ports and Linux Games. I'm just a little realistic about it in saying if I can play Windows games on Linux, I'll stick it to Microsoft and play. I'd rather show them they don't have a Monopoly in all areas, then worry about Linux Native ports.
Suicidal
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HydroSan wrote:
Companies which make Windows-only games are lazy. Don't let them trick you into thinking its any harder - they just like DirectX, and thus will use it.

More like they dont know how to program in anything but directX.

Ctrl+Alt+Del wrote:
I would love to buy native ports of games like Tribes:Vengeance, Battlefield2 or HalfLife2.

Same here.
wolf31o2
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ctrl+Alt+Del wrote:
I would love to buy native ports of games like Tribes:Vengeance, Battlefield2 or HalfLife2.

While Vengeance might be possible, BF2 and HL2 are both using the Source Engine, which is so dependent on DirectX, a "port" would probably be a "rewrite" instead. Remember that most of the peopel from Valve are ex-Microsoft employees. Do you really think they'd use anything other than DirectX?
wolf31o2
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyper_Eye wrote:
I actually feel strange sitting in front of a Windows box. If a game has a Linux version coming I WAIT.

That's great! Glad to hear there's at least one more person who does like I do.
Quote:
Now, that dosn't apply to games that simply release binaries after the game is released. You really don't have a choice in that case.

Sure you do. Wait until the binaries are released, then purchase them from a retailer that reports it as a Linux sale, such as Tuxgames. I bought Doom 3 from Tuxgames. I bought UT2003 from Tuxgames. I bought UT2004 from Tuxgames. All of these are rertpoed as a Linux sale. If you buy it from Gamestop, even if you never install it under Windows, it doesn't get counted as a Linux sale.
wolf31o2
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNKyDeth wrote:
Gaming on Linux is good imo but I do agree about the comments toward Cedega in the sense that it does kill off any native ports that may come our way otherwise (*cough* WoW *cough*)

Doubtful on that one, as Blizzard is *not* Linux/Open Source friendly in any way. In fact, they've done a good job of showing that they are very anti-Linux.
Quote:
Anyways, I own over half of what tuxgames sells and am a proud owner and collecter of native Linux games. It'll be like baseball cards one day I think >.o

Awesome! I have a ton of games myself. I'm actually slowly adding all of them to portage. In fact, I plan on adding Soulride, Robin Hood, and Jagged Alliance 2 to portage sometime in the near future.
Quote:
Since I am a collecter of linux native commercial games I will buy most anything. I mean, I have railraod tycoon 2 still sealed in a box cause I know I'll never play it or enjoy it.

Honestly, I do the same thing. I've purchased many games that I've only played for a short time. The reason is pretty simple. I think it is worth me paying $40 to show a company that I support them spending their money to support a Linux port, and I am showing them that I want them to continue this practice. Sure, a company might not care about a small-time port now, but showing an active interest could easily lead to them deciding to port their next AAA title to Linux.

I don't ask people to buy games that they won't play, but I do implore them to buy games they know that they'll be playing under Linux from a Linux retailer, so their purchase counts as a Linux sale and they can vote with their wallet.
wolf31o2
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stobbsm wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I want to see more Linux ports and Linux Games. I'm just a little realistic about it in saying if I can play Windows games on Linux, I'll stick it to Microsoft and play. I'd rather show them they don't have a Monopoly in all areas, then worry about Linux Native ports.

Except you aren't sticking it to Microsoft in any way. You're supporting them and their platform by showing publishers that you're more than willing to use a Windows product, even with lower performance and fewer features, rather than purchase a native port. You are helping to fuel the disparity of Linux games. You can attempt to rationalize it however you want, but until you give up running games under Windows emulation, you're supporting Windows gaming and Microsoft. Period. This would be no different if the PS3 had an XBOX360 emulator and you played only XBOX360 games on your PS3. You aren't supporting Sony, you're supporting Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't care what you do with that shiny new game, so long as they get your money and your support.
KoKi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolf31o2 wrote:
Quote:
Now, that dosn't apply to games that simply release binaries after the game is released. You really don't have a choice in that case.

Sure you do. Wait until the binaries are released, then purchase them from a retailer that reports it as a Linux sale, such as Tuxgames. I bought Doom 3 from Tuxgames. I bought UT2003 from Tuxgames. I bought UT2004 from Tuxgames. All of these are rertpoed as a Linux sale. If you buy it from Gamestop, even if you never install it under Windows, it doesn't get counted as a Linux sale.

well, i decide to buy ut2004 and nwn. ive tested the "free" version of ut2004 nad i like it and ill also test nwn ... the problem is, that in tuxgames, each one cost 40$ (so 80$ for bouth), but in my favorite shop over the street i can buy one for 18$ (so 36$ for bouth). eaven if i dont use windows anymore i wont buy tham over tuxgames (and they can count it how they wont). but maybe ill buy doom3 for the rest (and ill still have a few dollars left).
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I have been doing this for 18 months.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
ChristyMcJesus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drescherjm wrote:
Quote:

I have been doing this for 18 months.

Ditto.
Momo_CCCP
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolf31o2 wrote:
stobbsm wrote:

Except you aren't sticking it to Microsoft in any way. You're supporting them and their platform by showing publishers that you're more than willing to use a Windows product, even with lower performance and fewer features, rather than purchase a native port. You are helping to fuel the disparity of Linux games. You can attempt to rationalize it however you want, but until you give up running games under Windows emulation, you're supporting Windows gaming and Microsoft. Period. This would be no different if the PS3 had an XBOX360 emulator and you played only XBOX360 games on your PS3. You aren't supporting Sony, you're supporting Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't care what you do with that shiny new game, so long as they get your money and your support.

That's more than true considering consoles are usually sold for less than their value and the only benefit made is made on games.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: