Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Xmms OpenSPC ebuild (needs testing before submitting!)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skotlex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Xmms OpenSPC ebuild (needs testing before submitting!) Reply with quote

Currently there exist three plugins for playing SPC (Snes sound format) files in xmms: Xmms-SPC, Xmms-OpenSPC and Xmms-SexySPC. Of these, only the first one is in portage, and it is a shame, because Xmms-SPC is undoubtedly the worse of the three!

So.. to remedy this, I want to submit an ebuild into portage for xmms-openspc (why not sexyspc? Because I like openspc a bit more). Before going to the bug-zilla and opening a new bug requesting to have this ebuild added, I thought I'd place it here to have people help test it before-hand (as it's the first ebuild I've done and it's almost guaranteed I must have messed up somewhere somehow). I tested it on my system and it works (fetching, patching, configure/make/install), but I need to know if it works for others.

The tar contents is the directory xmms-openspc with it's ebuilds/manifests/patches/whatever-else-that-goes-in-there, so unpack it on your PORTAGE_OVERLAY/media-plugins/ directory before emerging. Since it depends on nasm, I believe it doesn't even has a chance of working on non x86/amd64 platforms, and in these two it is masked until more feedback is acquired (so you'll have to add media-plugins/xmms-openspc on your package.keywords file).

xmms-openspc.ebuild.tar.bz2

Feedback/comments/flames/whatever appreciated.
Pulsewidth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This works for me, thanks.
Tuxmym
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Skotlex :D it works for me too !
However I had to manually download the tar.gz from a FreeBSD website :?
marschw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link is dead now. Anybody have a copy of it, or can post its contents in the forum? Portage still only has xmms-spc...

-=Marcus
StringCheesian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An SPC plugin that's derived from OpenSPC (*) is included with Audacious (in portage: media-sound/audacious), which is a GTK2 port of XMMS.

(*) The SPC plugin is based on Game_Music_Emu, which gets its SPC DSP emulator from OpenSPC.
nenolod
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StringCheesian wrote:
An SPC plugin that's derived from OpenSPC (*) is included with Audacious (in portage: media-sound/audacious), which is a GTK2 port of XMMS.

(*) The SPC plugin is based on Game_Music_Emu, which gets its SPC DSP emulator from OpenSPC.

Actually, our code has nothing to do with OpenSPC, or for that matter any other SPC implementation.
Additionally, the GME code included inside Audacious works quite a bit differently than OpenSPC and others.
haikai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can assure you that Game_Music_Emu's SPC playing is based on OpenSPC. Check the bottom of readme.txt. It's obvious the author knows his stuff and has made some structural changes, but that's what it is. Emulating the SPC700 + DSP is no small task. There are four implementations: ZSNES's, SNES9x's, SNEeSe's (which is what OpenSPC is based on), and Anti Resonance's SNESAPU. FWIW I find SNESAPU to be superior to OpenSPC, which is in turn much better than anything SNES9x based. On Linux, sexySPC seems to be the best player that uses SNESAPU. I also heard someone wrote a GStreamer plugin for it. SNESAPU is written largely in assembly, unfortunately for non-x86 folks.

That being said, I'm giving Audacious a try now for SPC playing and it's works well and sounds fine.
Skotlex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa.. I've totally forgotten about this thread... I removed the file from my ftp server a long time ago because I gave up on that package being supported by Gentoo. On the bug report where I posted the ebuild to get it included on portage, they said xmms was deprecated, and would not add any new ebuilds for it. Worse yet... the file you need (xmms-openspc-0.0.3.tar.gz, I think) no longer exists EVEN on the xmms homepage where you are supposed to be able to fetch it from! The only place I managed to get a copy of it from was... some BSD mirror website, they DO have this package in their ports system.

In case anyone is still curious.. I remade the tar.gz and restored the file in the original link. But after reading the comments here, I am thinking of trying Audacious. However, will it have a plugin for psf/psf2 file formats support? Unfortunately it isn't just spc that keeps me locked down with xmms, it's also the psf and psf2 formats.... sigh, wished more people were interested in these videogame formats so we could have plugins for the most popular players out there.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: