rc2 Install woes
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorbidDK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: rc2 Install woes Reply with quote

I have an AMD K6-2 200MHz system w/ 64MB RAM. I have downloaded the gentoo-basic-x86-1.4_rc2.iso package and burned it. I have attempted many many times to get the kernel to boot so I can install gentoo, however every time it reboots itself without a second glance.

Basically I put CD in, boot computer and get to the boot: screen. Whether I boot straight, disable an option or 2 or disable all options I can the system changes to the kernel boot (after uncompress of course), scrolls VERY quickly about 20 lines or so and reboots, without warning or error. I can't stop the kernel loading with Pause/Break to even give an idea of when its failing, but it is failing and its not gotten very far in the boot at all.

I have tried the same CD on my T-Bird 1200MHz machine and it boots the kernel without a problem and I can begin the install from there. Could this possibly be an i586 problem where I need to get the i586 specific iso to install or is this possibly just a weird quirk on this one system of mine?
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i installed gentoo on a k6-2 - worked without problems - looks indeed like some 'weird quirk'

if i was u i would try to use some other system to boot the machine (knoppix is a good choice for many people) and proceed from there... i think theres a thread somewhere about this...

u can also try to use the old gentoo 1.2 installation cd - u will get a 1.4 system if u use this cd and follow the installations instruction from 1.4 (the reuslting system depends on which tarballs u use and NOT on which installation cd u use)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: