Can't find 80 Gb harddisk.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeeland
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Can't find 80 Gb harddisk. Reply with quote

Hi,

I am a newbie to Gentoo linux after I have tried Redhat, Mandrake, Suse, etc. I am willing to try gentoo linux.
But I ran in some trouble. I can't find my 80 Gb harddisk. (I know it is connected with the promise raid controller and accessible with winxp.)
I have also read that there are some trouble with raid controllers using gentoo, but I don't understand it exactly.
Ok here is the situation: I have a A7V8x motherboard from asus with one harddisk of 20 Gb(ATA66) on the primaire IDE port and a 80Gb harddisk(ATA133) on the secondairy port of the raid controller(this is ATA133 interface the other two is S-ATA). But when I load the raid driver from 1.2 or 1.4rc2 gentoo linux and go looking for my 80Gb harddisk, I find a 20Gb disk(/dev/ataraid/disc0/disc) connected to the raid controller and /dev/hda is also a 20Gb.

Please help.
Exci
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you try a
Code:

fdisk -l /dev/hd?
W1ReD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't find 80 Gb harddisk. Reply with quote

Zeeland wrote:
Hi,

I am a newbie to Gentoo linux after I have tried Redhat, Mandrake, Suse, etc. I am willing to try gentoo linux.
But I ran in some trouble. I can't find my 80 Gb harddisk. (I know it is connected with the promise raid controller and accessible with winxp.)
I have also read that there are some trouble with raid controllers using gentoo, but I don't understand it exactly.
Ok here is the situation: I have a A7V8x motherboard from asus with one harddisk of 20 Gb(ATA66) on the primaire IDE port and a 80Gb harddisk(ATA133) on the secondairy port of the raid controller(this is ATA133 interface the other two is S-ATA). But when I load the raid driver from 1.2 or 1.4rc2 gentoo linux and go looking for my 80Gb harddisk, I find a 20Gb disk(/dev/ataraid/disc0/disc) connected to the raid controller and /dev/hda is also a 20Gb.

Please help.

I'm not very positive about this, but isn't hda your primary master? In which case of course its 20gb because its the same drive! Try looking in /dev/hdb or /dev/hdc to find you primary slave and secondary master respectively. This is just a shot in the dark however--I'm not sure if Raid actually works this way or not.

Good luck!

W1ReD
Exci
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends, I only see 2 harddisks, one of 20 GB connected to a normal IDE channel, that means the second of 80GB is on the raid controller.

So he won't use RAID but just the IDE controller from those raid controllers.

that means his 80GB is somewhere between hde and hdz :)
that why do a :

Code:

fdisk -l /dev/hd?

this will list all of the HD's with their partitiontables, one in hd{a,b,c,d} and one in hde t/m z
W1ReD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah--that's the best way to go. Or he could just run cfdisk and view them, but your way will display more info.

W1ReD
Zeeland
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I've tried a little more. I disconnected the 20Gb harddrive and guess what? I'm unable to load the pdcraid modules. I get some error message which saids that it can't find the promise raid modules. By the way it is a Fasttrak 376, could it be possible that it is still not supported at this moment? The mainboard is 3 weeks old.
Caviel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux RAID installs are really funky....Took me almost a month to get the 233 w/ Promise RAID working, much to my boss' dismay.

Anyways, when you fire up your system off the CD, make sure you type the following at the boot prompt:

Code:
rescue hde=noautotune hdf=noautotune

On the 233, it would cause the system to take MUCH longer to get to the shell, and the pdcraid module would not load properly. Once you've done that, you should be able to do the:

Code:
modprobe ataraid
modprobe pdcraid

without any problems, and hopefully it will find the 80GB drive.

My main question is: Why are you using the ATA RAID controller with only one drive attached?
Zeeland
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caviel wrote:
My main question is: Why are you using the ATA RAID controller with only one drive attached?

I friend of mine told me that a harddisk connected to the raid controller is faster as the IDE-controller on the mainboard, but I've never tested it.

But I'm gonna try that rescue option tomorrow morning.
BernieKe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems that with certain (new) kernels the modules for raidcontrollers don't work anymore (even with no raidfunctionality used), try to get it working with the gentoo-sources r7 first, as these certainly work (afterwards you can experiment with others)

if you do not intend to use the raidfunctionality you don't need to build in any raidmodules in the kernel

if the hd is connected to the first ide of your controller it should be on /dev/hde
Zeeland
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BernieKe wrote:

if you do not intend to use the raidfunctionality you don't need to build in any raidmodules in the kernel

I've got a bit of newbie question......:roll:
Does this mean that the HD wil work even if I don't specify a RAID array inside the RAID bios? I've always specified a RAID array even if I had one disk.
BernieKe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes: you don't need to define an array if you use the hd as a single hd
Zeeland
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BernieKe wrote:
yes: you don't need to define an array if you use the hd as a single hd

I guess this doesn't count for al RAID controllers. The onboard Promise FastTrak376 I've got won't work without defining a striped array of one disc :? .
BernieKe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmz...
well it seems like i was too fast in aswering as i only have experience with highpoint and mistakenly tought this would be the same with other controllers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: