View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicolinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: FAMOpen failed, FAMErrno=0 Reply with quote

Hi,

i emerged gnome2 shortly and it it very slow. The reason for this may be the given error:
FAMOpen failed, FAMErrno=0
Does someone know how to solve this ?

Thanks much

Stefan
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting the same error :?
Nicolinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are more strange errors:

Window manager warning: Property _NET_WM_NAME on window 0x180006c contained invalid UTF-8

(gnome-panel:27807): Wnck-WARNING **: Property _NET_WM_NAME contained invalid UTF-8

Window manager warning: Property _NET_WM_NAME on window 0x180006c contained invalid UTF-8

(gnome-panel:27807): Wnck-WARNING **: Property _NET_WM_NAME contained invalid UTF-8

karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the FAM error, have you emerged fam-oss and added fam to your default runlevels and started it? No? Then you will get this warning. It simply indicates FAM is not running, though it shouldn't impact the performance of your gnome apps too greatly. As far as gnome2 being very slow as you put it, no...fam has not much to do with this. FAM will give you a speedup here or there, but I'm not using FAM and gnome2 flys. As to why your gnome2 moves so slow, I'd almost be willing to bet money you're running the version 4xxx of the nvidia driver. Quite the piece of crap the 2d rendering portion of that driver is. Back off to the 3xxx driver or the 2xxx driver and gnome 2 should get about 70% faster. Yep, that's right...NVIDIA writes some of the sorriest piece of crap proprietary drivers I've ever seen!!

To the guy with the UTF-8 warnings, this appears on www.gentoo.org:
Quote:
we don't recommend building GNOME 2.2 with a locale that uses the UTF-8 character set

If your fonts look fine, I wouldn't worry about it, but apparently there are some issues with UTF-8.

Karl
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnome 2.2 rc2 was pretty fast here but now that I have freshly rebuilt gnome it is also very slow in the gui. I am using the nvidia 3xxx driver and trying 4xxx indicates me that these 2d problems are card related and not there on my tnt II card.

For gnome: fom on or off does not make a difference. It is just slooow.
I wish the RC2 ebuilds were still here....Maybe the slowness has to do with the thememanager now working with FAM turned on .... Did they change something at the core?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: