manually installing sun jdk
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-M
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: manually installing sun jdk Reply with quote

One of the developers here at work wrote a small java application that we need to test running under Linux. I would like to use Gentoo for this, but unfortunately the jdk this application was built against is newer then what is in portage. Ideally I would like to test it against the same version of jdk it was build with. I have searched the forums and could not find (doesn't mean it isn't there, just didn't find it) any tips or directions for confirming what I believe the steps are for manually installing a newer jdk. If I understand what little I did find correctly the steps are

extract the jdk to /opt
modify the java entries in env.d

run the jave-config tool

As far as the files in env.d go, do I need to modify both the 20java file and create a file in java directory or just create the file in the java directory for the new jdk? I am thinking I just need to build the file in the java directory but wanted to be sure.

I do understand that this can cause problems latter if we were to then try and upgrade using portage or that many applications in portage still do not compile against the the 1.5.x jdk/jre, we will worry about those issues later if the application runs as hoped.

DM
Flammie
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: manually installing sun jdk Reply with quote

D-M wrote:
One of the developers here at work wrote a small java application that we need to test running under Linux. I would like to use Gentoo for this, but unfortunately the jdk this application was built against is newer then what is in portage.

Portage has up to 1.5.0.04, are you using unreleased version of jdk with your project? The 1.5.0 is masked though, in order to unmask you'll need to add it to /etc/portage/package.unmask.
D-M
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow 1.5.4 wasn't there yesterday, the java team sure moves fast.

1.5.0.02 is the version it was built against, which is hard masked, which I understand can't be overcome even by package.keywords.

DM
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-M wrote:

1.5.0.02 is the version it was built against, which is hard masked, which I understand can't be overcome even by package.keywords.

DM

unless you are working around specific bugs, you should probably stablize upon a major point release. say 1.4.2 or 1.5.

I constantly rebuild java applications, installed jdk is 1.4.2-6, required platform for deployment is 1.4.2.

- Jon
catzooka
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-M wrote:

DM

Actually, you can bypass the hard mask, by adding the package to package.keywords, as well as, package.mask.

Code:
echo "=category/package-version" >> /etc/portage/package.mask
echo "=category/package-version ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
D-M
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
D-M wrote:

DM

unless you are working around specific bugs, you should probably stablize upon a major point release. say 1.4.2 or 1.5.

I constantly rebuild java applications, installed jdk is 1.4.2-6, required platform for deployment is 1.4.2.

- Jon

Good advice, unfortunatly it wasn't my call. But ya we are working on a bug.

DM
D-M
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deftochino wrote:
D-M wrote:

DM

Actually, you can bypass the hard mask, by adding the package to package.keywords, as well as, package.mask.

Code:

the docs seemed to indicate just doing the ~x86 unmask would expose the hard mask, but then other docs seems to make it sound like you could not get around a hard mask.

I will try exactly as you suggest and let you know.

thanks for the tip and clarification.

DM
catzooka
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the package. Hardmasked packages are those that are not only masked by an ~arch keyword (like ~x86), but also by an entry in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask. Other packages might just be masked by the ~arch keyword, in which case adding them to package.keywords will suffice. Hardmasked packages will require both an entry in package.mask and package.keywords for you to be able to emerge them.
D-M
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deftochino wrote:

Code:

This did not work, but by changing the first line from package.mask to package.unmask did

once I did that when I did and emerge -p package, the newer hard masked jdk was available. I now have the newer JDk install
and can now test the application against it. I am going to suggest that once that test is over we test against the stable jdk in portage.
since the application is a simple one it should work (keeps fingers crossed).

thanks everyone for your help in getting me going in the right direction.

DM
catzooka
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha. yeah. I'm sorry, it must have been late. Of course it has to be package.unmask. I'm sorry, the hardmasks are put into /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask, while unmasking them requires an entry in package.unmask. Sorry, about the confusion. :oops:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: