Switching mirrors and using USE [SOVLED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kramerkeller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Switching mirrors and using USE [SOVLED] Reply with quote

I originally was doing a stage 1 install, but after a lot of work (and only minor problems) I decided to start over and do a stage 2 since the pentium 3 has a stage 2 already for me to download. I checked over the chost and flags and it was pretty much similar to what I had, but gentoo is great because I can actually see what is happenind to my computer and I was back to part 6 in the handbook in no time.

However, at the very end of part 6 I had some emerge problems. I was manually changing my /etc/make.conf file so I am sure that is where the problem occured. The Oregon University server was down or something last night "and so were the forums? (I don't know if there is a connection there or updating, but seems fine now) Anyway I thought I would change the mirror to the indiana university ftp - maybe that was a bad idea. Also I am not sure if I am doing this USE thing right. I think I just typed what I have below? So here is the stuff I tried to modify and if anyone can tell me what is wrong that would be great. Basically when I do emerge is freezes on

waiting for lock on /usr/portage/distfiles/.locks/patch-2.5.9.tar.gz.portage_lockfile

I left it at that 3 times including last night and came back this morning and it was still there. So all my mistakes probably are below in my /etc/make.conf and this is what is says below th flags and stuff already set up in stage 2

GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/pub/linux/gentoo/"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.us.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="-gtk -gnome qt kde cdr alsa jack acc avi aim java mozilla php wifi"

OH and if I decide to change USE later - do I have to emerge and recompile the kernal again>?

Last edited by kramerkeller on Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
pitcrawler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try deleting /usr/portage/distfiles/.locks/patch-2.5.9.tar.gz.portage_lockfile, or move it somewhere else, like the /tmp folder, then try running the emerge again.
zonk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use flags aren't for the kernel, they are for other packages you install. so no, you do not recompile the kernel when changing your use flags. what you CAN do is run emerge with the "--newuse" flag, which tells it the use flags changed and that it should recompile all affected packages. if you don't want to do that on all packages, it'll automatically use the new flags once packages get updated.
kramerkeller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again guys you both gave me what I needed - it seems to be working its been I think 2 hours don't suppose you know how long this emerge part takes eh? (Pentium 3)
zonk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on what you are emerging right now. if you are re-emerging with --newuse and are doing your whole system, that could easily take a day. or more. or less. it all depends on how many packages it has to compile.
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramerkeller wrote:
Thanks again guys you both gave me what I needed - it seems to be working its been I think 2 hours don't suppose you know how long this emerge part takes eh? (Pentium 3)

That all depends on a few things, what you are emerging, how fast the CPU is, and the amount of RAM. For instance Open Office takes about 4h36m on my p4 3.2g 1g RAM machine and takes 20min longer on my p4 2.8g 1g RAM laptop, if done on an Xbox with a Celeron 733mhz 64m RAM it takes a day or two.
kramerkeller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No big deal - so I might still not understand some stuff. If I want open office - do I have to compile that with "USE" you said it took you 4 and a half hours to compile. I guess my main question is about emerge. So what does emerge do? Does it compile my USE flags - I would think there would be a lot of things in use. I used to use fedora, but I jsut did not like not knowing what was going on. I would just download an rpm or whatever and install. FOr open office KDE or whatever do you have to choose it in use and then re-emerge everythign every single time? OR what? Can I just emerge some things at a time? I have read the handbook, but I don't know if I really get what USE is doing. Is it a program installer/compiler? Any help would be great. Please help me to understand.
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramerkeller wrote:
No big deal - so I might still not understand some stuff. If I want open office - do I have to compile that with "USE" you said it took you 4 and a half hours to compile. I guess my main question is about emerge. So what does emerge do? Does it compile my USE flags - I would think there would be a lot of things in use. I used to use fedora, but I jsut did not like not knowing what was going on. I would just download an rpm or whatever and install. FOr open office KDE or whatever do you have to choose it in use and then re-emerge everythign every single time? OR what? Can I just emerge some things at a time? I have read the handbook, but I don't know if I really get what USE is doing. Is it a program installer/compiler? Any help would be great. Please help me to understand.

What emerge actually does is download the source or even binaries of the apps you tell it to. The USE flags only work if you get the src, for example emerge openoffice-bin would download the app openoffice binaries and install them, whereas emerge openoffice would download the source, compile it using your USE flags, then install the made binaries. That is Gentoo's major strong point, being able to easily download and customize apps. If you use the emerge -vp packagename you can see what USE flags are available for that program.

All that emerge is basically is a installer/deinstaller/updater all in one. When it selects a package to install it downloads, compiles, installs without needed anything from you. Those USE flags add extra functionality to progams that have them, KDE has cdparania, samba, etc. If you include both of those the CD Audio works and for the samba part you can now type in smb://computername/sharename and connect to a remote share.

Code:
emerge -vp gnome

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-base/gnome-2.10-r1  -accessibility +cdr +dvdr -hal 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

That is a sample of what the emerge -vp looks like. The pluses are options that will be installed, the - are things you can add by adding them to your USE line. Adding things to the USE line can effect older program installed, to make use of the new USE you do an emerge -p --newuse world. That will show you what is going to be updated, if you are ok with that take out the -p and it will re-compile with the new USE stuff.

My USE line is pretty long:

Code:
USE="gnome kde gtk qt samba mmx sse sse2 dvdr cdr dvd cups truetype java toolbar opengl unicode alsa audiofile cdparanoia encode gtk2 imagemagick kdeenablefinal memlimit spell threads usb xine kdeenablefinal mozilla X dga aac ffmpeg i8x0 win32codecs v4l xvid dts network divx4linux yv12 jpek2k bzip2 ggi mmxext rtc tga v4l2 silverxp dvdread xscreensaver softmmu"
kramerkeller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really interresting. So in your example I could compile gnome and no matter what the "+" items will always be added no matter what I do, whereas the "-" items I can add only if i want them? If this is the case, would the only reason for not adding all the additional items with the "-" command be to make the system run faster?
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramerkeller wrote:
This is really interresting. So in your example I could compile gnome and no matter what the "+" items will always be added no matter what I do, whereas the "-" items I can add only if i want them? If this is the case, would the only reason for not adding all the additional items with the "-" command be to make the system run faster?

Well you can use the -samba for example to take samba out of the compile. Having some things not in doesn't always make things faster and could make things not work as good as they could. For instance KDE without the samba flag means you would need to have another way to mount or attach to network drives, instead of having that ability built into KDE. Some things are automatically there, set to plus. The only way not to get those is add them to the USE with a - in front of them. Not everyone wants all the features of a program, especially if they are concerned about their HD Space, etc. If they want just a lean Linux, then they could get it by not allowing certain things in. Adding things to the USE without a - in front means as soon as a program you want meets that requirement it will download that app, compile, install it too. So for the samba example, it would automatically download, compile, and install as soon as you emerged anything that had samba as an optional component. A lot of people have -gnome in their USE section so that gnome will not be installed. It all comes down to more little tweaks to make the Linux yours, not everyone elses. Gentoo gives you the most control over how and what is installed. I have tested other Linux versions and always stick with Gentoo.
kramerkeller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I know what is included in the compile in the first place? Okay so you wrote

Code:
emerge -vp gnome

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild R ] gnome-base/gnome-2.10-r1 -accessibility +cdr +dvdr -hal 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

That is a sample of what the emerge -vp looks like. The pluses are options that will be installed, the - are things you can add by adding them to your USE line. Adding things to the USE line can effect older program installed, to make use of the new USE you do an emerge -p --newuse world. That will show you what is going to be updated, if you are ok with that take out the -p and it will re-compile with the new USE stuff.

Here you said the pluses are options that will be installed and that - are things you can add in the use line, but in the next post you said

The only way not to get those is add them to the USE with a - in front of them

So in the one post it looks like tou said - are things you can add and yet in the next post it said "the only way to NOT get those is to put a - flag in front.

So does - add or take away a use variable and if so does + not add, but just state what must come with it.

Also, why do you have to put -gnome. Is this because it automatically downloads -gnome if you download kde? Why don't you just not have gnome unless you add it? I am obviously far of. Maybe a run through installing a program would help. Like if I want to install KDE and I want it to have Samba how can I see what things to add and subtract. Also when do I not want gnome, if I am installing KDE do I have to say -gnome. If I install anything do I have to alwasy add a -gnome. or only a + if I want it.
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A minus symbol (-) takes thing away and a nothing in front adds. So if you don't want gnome to be installed if a program has it as an option then you would have USE="-gnome". If you want the gnome to get added then you would do USE="gnome". Keep in mind that there could be way more things in the USE, that is just an example.
kramerkeller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see so first you would use

Code:
emerge -vp kde

and then it would show me something like

Code:
kde -accessibility +cdr +dvdr -hal

"That is a sample of what the emerge -vp looks like. The pluses are options that will be installed, the - are things you can add by adding them to your USE line"

So I could add accesibility by typing accesability and not add cdr by hitting -cdr

USE="accesibility -cdr "

In another example the -p would show something with +gnome and I could do

USE="-gnome" to take it away?

Basically how do I know what will be installed when I install KDE and then how do I alter it? (thanks for being patient with me)
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramerkeller wrote:
I see so first you would use

Code:
emerge -vp kde

and then it would show me something like

Code:
kde -accessibility +cdr +dvdr -hal

"That is a sample of what the emerge -vp looks like. The pluses are options that will be installed, the - are things you can add by adding them to your USE line"

So I could add accesibility by typing accesability and not add cdr by hitting -cdr

USE="accesibility -cdr "

In another example the -p would show something with +gnome and I could do

USE="-gnome" to take it away?

Basically how do I know what will be installed when I install KDE and then how do I alter it? (thanks for being patient with me)

Well KDE is different. The emerge KDE right now adds all the various KDE addons. There are lots of KDE things, kde-base, kde-multimedia, kde-games, etc. Those are what you would have to do the emerge -vp to. You can find packages by doing a emerge -s name, IE: emerge -s kde. Of coarse if you do that, be prepared for a long list to show up.
kramerkeller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anywhere where I can read up on all this stuff. I am going through the manual and I am up to section 8, so I always can redo my flags and install stuff. however, I just want to know all the commands and read up on how to install this stuff. Where can I find some info?

I want to be able to look at programs, see what comes installed, decide which things to add and subtract (flags) and then compile. Any info to read up on and I'll do the work.
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramerkeller wrote:
Is there anywhere where I can read up on all this stuff. I am going through the manual and I am up to section 8, so I always can redo my flags and install stuff. however, I just want to know all the commands and read up on how to install this stuff. Where can I find some info?

I want to be able to look at programs, see what comes installed, decide which things to add and subtract (flags) and then compile. Any info to read up on and I'll do the work.

Not sure where to look other then on the Gentoo document section on their site. What I did when determining what to include or not was do the emerge -vp package, then see what additional stuff was going to be added or not added. Then checked to see what those packages where. If I liked that they were then I added them to my USE. The file /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc has some of the USE stuff and descriptions
kramerkeller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I found some stuff later on in the handbook and from all this writing I am catching on. I think once I actually start installing stuff it will make more sense. I am not sure I even know how to install really. If I want KDE is it jus built in then becasue it is listed in

Quote:
Let us take a look at this default setting:

Code Listing 2: Cumulated /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2004.3/make.defaults USE variable

(This example is the sum of the settings in base, default-linux,
default-linux/x86 and default-linux/x86/2004.3)
USE="x86 oss apm arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts crypt cups encode fortran f77
foomaticdb gdbm gif gpm gtk gtk2 imlib jpeg kde gnome libg++ libwww mad
mikmod motif mpeg ncurses nls oggvorbis opengl pam pdflib png python qt
quicktime readline sdl spell ssl svga tcpd truetype X xml2 xmms xv zlib"

Is this some file that is the default for gentoo and then you just -gnome if you don't want it? Also, I think KDE looks real cool, but is there any good advantages to gnome?
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramerkeller wrote:
Thanks - I found some stuff later on in the handbook and from all this writing I am catching on. I think once I actually start installing stuff it will make more sense. I am not sure I even know how to install really. If I want KDE is it jus built in then becasue it is listed in

Quote:
Let us take a look at this default setting:

Code Listing 2: Cumulated /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2004.3/make.defaults USE variable

(This example is the sum of the settings in base, default-linux,
default-linux/x86 and default-linux/x86/2004.3)
USE="x86 oss apm arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts crypt cups encode fortran f77
foomaticdb gdbm gif gpm gtk gtk2 imlib jpeg kde gnome libg++ libwww mad
mikmod motif mpeg ncurses nls oggvorbis opengl pam pdflib png python qt
quicktime readline sdl spell ssl svga tcpd truetype X xml2 xmms xv zlib"

Is this some file that is the default for gentoo and then you just -gnome if you don't want it? Also, I think KDE looks real cool, but is there any good advantages to gnome?

Well to make changes to the USE you add them into the /etc/make.conf. As with Gnome, their isn't a real advantage, other then it is smaller disc/resource wise. It just is personal preference with people. To me both are good desktops, they both have pros and cons. There is no harm in having both, unless you have limited HD space. Since you are new to Linux, it sounds, you should play around, install things, test and see what you like. That is a good way to learn it. I have installed Gentoo on my machine 3 or 4 times already and once i get my new MB and processor next week I will be doing it again. You will find that Linux is so much more stable that you find yourself playing around more, since you have more time because you don't have to patch/fix the OS every other day. At least that is what it seemed I had to do with Windows that last few months I used it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: