Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
/etc/make.profile+emerge sync issue (Yes this is different)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bastion1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: /etc/make.profile+emerge sync issue (Yes this is different) Reply with quote

I have searched throughout the forms and can't get past this issue. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=26122&highlight=make+profile helped out, but here is the issue which remains.

I am behind a firewall for which I do not control. Therefore I downloaded a snapshot of the portage tree and unpacked it into /usr/portage . Someone suggested to emerge gentoolkit, and use web-rsync from this point. Which sounds like a wonderful idea, but it doesn't work. Due to my system not having a profile directory, the error message says No profile directory; system mode unavailable.

Perhaps writing an /etc/make.profile by hand would help? If so, does anyone have a good template to use. Or is their another solution to this problem? Thank you for your help. 8O

Oh yeah, one more thing the firewall guys swear that rsync isn't being blocked since its originating from inside the network. Does anyone know enough about rsync to offer a suggestion of what to say to them to get port 873 opened up?
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firewall: You don't need port 873.
My company only allows traffic over port 80. I have no problems with rsync. Here is my proxy settings:

Code:

RSYNC_PROXY=www-proxy.company.com:80
HTTP_PROXY=http://www-proxy.company.com:80
FTP_PROXY=http://www-proxy.company.com:80

Use the proxy settings in your browser as a template for your config.

This shoudl work.

Erik
Bastion1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any other options besides getting the settings a proxy server. I'm on a huge network, so I don't have access every resource on our network.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. I'm not sure what you mean with your last update. The settings I mentioned in my previous update should be enough. I'm on a huge network too, 140+ countries and 20-30000 machines. For me, that's all I need.

Erik
Bastion1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. Are you saying this is the information that I should enter into /etc/make.profile? Because unfortunately I will have to beg, borrow, and steal to get the proper info from the gentlemen who control the firewall; they are a seriously paranoid bunch. I just wanted to confirm exactly what I should do so that I do not miss a step. I'm new to having to configure options like this. Thank you.....
Bastion1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The firewall admins blew me off as expected. I went ahead and downloaded the snapshots and verified the proper symlink from /usr/portage/profiles/defaultx86... Problem solved, but thank you for your assistance.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: