View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: What is this crap? Reply with quote

Now, to have file-roler, you must have Nautilus?

Crap :x

Bye bye file-roler... Until the Gnome guys makes a separate nautilus-extension package, I will now fight bloats like I fight spam.

If I want things pushed down my throat, I'll use MS-Windows.

My rant is done.
hw-tph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're done ranting, why don't you look into the dependancies and read up on the Gentoo Ebuild Howto?

Håkan
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can build file-roler without Nautilus, tell me how, because I tried, and I ended up puting >=app-arch/file-roler-2.10.0 in /etc/portage/package.mask instead.

I will now send an email to the file-roler developpers and tell them they can stop coding new releases since I wont know about any of them because the package is now mask on my boxes.

(man, is that cat uggly or what?)
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tecknojunky wrote:
I will now send an email to the file-roler developpers and tell them they can stop coding new releases since I wont know about any of them because the package is now mask on my boxes.

now that is just stupid and offending...

file-roller is designed for the gnome desktop, why wouldn't it depend on nautilus?
lotw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neuron wrote:
tecknojunky wrote:

file-roller is designed for the gnome desktop, why wouldn't it depend on nautilus?

More to the point, why would you want part of a desktop, but not the complete thing. That would be like asking for a car, but then only wanting three wheels. All the parts are designed to make it work better. If you need more HD space get ride if Windows, there is more bloat there then anywhere else.
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neuron wrote:
tecknojunky wrote:

It was intended to be ironic. I agree on the stupid part, but not the offending one.

neuron wrote:
file-roler 2.8 was stand alone.

lotw wrote:
More to the point, why would you want part of a desktop, but not the complete thing. That would be like asking for a car, but then only wanting three wheels. All the parts are designed to make it work better. If you need more HD space get ride if Windows, there is more bloat there then anywhere else.
I use Enlightenement. I don't use GUI file manager, but I like to use file-roler because it's convenient for browsing compressed archives and that they are automatically openned with from Firefox. The 2.10 update now requires Nautilus which I don't use, so I'm annoyed. That's all.
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try XArchive: http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=972

Only requirement is GTK+
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lokheed wrote:

Only requirement is GTK+
Cool. Thanks 8)
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tecknojunky wrote:
Lokheed wrote:

Only requirement is GTK+
Cool. Thanks 8)

welcome. Let me know how it is compared to File-Roller as I am not to impressed with it at the moment. XArchive looks very well built as everything is modularized.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having File-roller depend on nautilus is like having Rarlab decide to make Winrar depend on the AbcommanderXP[One of the best Windows programs I have ever come across, a damned shame its not free or at least OSS.] Filemanager, which in Windows terms would probably mean a much larger binary not to mention the added annoyance of having yet another file manager installed. I can see how the OP would be annoyed at this development.

For the record I count six file managers installed on my machine right now for no real reason, probably should only be three since I use nautilus when I am in gtk based DE's and Konqueror/Krusader when I am in KDE or need to do some more complicated batch file movement in which case Krusader owns.

Hello there Lockheed.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite agree with techno here.

The more these big desktops "advance" the more they seem to think they have to imitiate windaube.

I see no reason why a file compression tool needs to depend on Nautilus. The two functions are quite separate and they should remain that way.

8)
Apopatos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use gnome with nautilus so never bothered if file roller needs it or not, I find much more important the new feature with which you can now open *.7za files (cool :wink: ), though I have a small problem.
Although I have associated 7za files to open with file-roller when I open file-roller and browse my files, it doesn't recognise the 7za files as commpressed ones but I can view it only through the "all files option" :?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lokheed wrote:

Only requirement is GTK+

Can't remember how many hours did I spend the last few days trying to find something like this. Thanks so much :wink:
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise.

Looks like a very good front-end, good readme, a doddle to install (even tho' an ebuild would be nice).

Just a shame it's based on gtk, I really hate the way the recent file browers works. Pretty but unergonomic as hell.

Thanks for the tip. 8)
widremann
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're so afraid of bloat, just read the man page for tar and you can get all of the functionality without installing any extra software. Although I can't really understand your concern unless you have a 300 megabyte harddrive from back in the day and truly don't have space to install one more little graphical application.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:
Likewise.
Just a shame it's based on gtk, I really hate the way the recent file browers works. Pretty but unergonomic as hell.

Agreed. Gtk looks nice, without gnome of course. But the gtk file dialogs and related stuff are the antithesis of functionality IMO. I tested it a bit since yesterday and I think I will stick to these one.

widremann wrote:
If you're so afraid of bloat, just read the man page for tar and you can get all of the functionality without installing any extra software. Although I can't really understand your concern unless you have a 300 megabyte harddrive from back in the day and truly don't have space to install one more little graphical application.

I just needed it for a barebones box that someone that is new to linux and really dont need to learn (nor want to bother with learning) about command line and such stuff. He just want working stuff in a machine from the past century, and that is what Im gonna provide. Anyone is free to ask for what they want.

I personally agree with you that cli tools are the best for file management under linux (overall if you know a bit of command line scripting), but not all the people want to bother with that.

About this statement:
Code:

Although I can't really understand your concern unless you have a 300 megabyte harddrive from back in the day and truly don't have space to install one more little graphical application.

Two things come to my mind:

Possibility number 1.- You did not read all the posts above, people complain about the new incoming dependency of fileroller: nautilus.

Possibility number 2.- You think that nautilus is "one more little graphical application", in which case you should go to see a doctor. :)
widremann
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on. You can fit a whole Gentoo install on a 5 GB harddisk, which is nothing these days (don't even know if you can buy one anymore). On my laptop, I use up a total of 6 GB including my home directory (with lots of mp3s). I have a full KDE install, plus a full XFCE install, eclipse, openoffice, several versions of firefox, complete KOffice installed, as well as a bunch of other graphical apps that don't fall neatly into one of those categories. If nautilus is going to throw you over the top, just plop down 50 bucks or less and get a real harddrive.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont seem to understand. Even in a 300 mb drive I doubt nautilus size would be a problem, qt size would not be also, and that is what most gnome users use as first weapon when arguing against a qt installation to use k3b. The problem is that some people are not going to use it, so, why compile it?

Another possible problem (dont know because I did not tried the nautilized version of file-roller, is the memory footprint. Dont really know for sure but I suppose it will be much bigger, if it really uses nautilus for anything. Are you going also to tell us to buy more ram?

It is something simple to understand. File-roller worked always without nautilus, and there is nothing substancial regarding new features (as far as I know, let me know if Im wrong) to tie that hard file-roller to nautilus. The app that I linked here can do exactly the same, using exactly the same programs as backends, and is only 128kb (the tarball, the exec is even smaller), looks well, with nice gtk2 integration and no less features than file roller (at least nothing substancial that I can notice). The only direct dep is gtk2. For me the choice is clear, thought, of course, everyone is free to emerge what s/he wants.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: