View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skippy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:50 am    Post subject: When will Phoenix be ready? Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of threads regarding phoenix - the email and news free version of mozilla - and it sounds great. I would like to try this, and I would like to see if mozilla runs faster.

But I don't consider myself a very technical user (although i can get around fine) and don't want to deal with library and cvs hassles. So, will there come a time when we could just emerge phoenix? And get a lean, effecient, graphical browser up and running?
dreamer3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
emerge phoenix-bin
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix looks like it is moving closer to .6 by the cvs version I run. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=25850&highlight=phoenixcvs and get the ebuild according to that thread. It works well most of the time and it is faster than the bin. If it doesn't work grab the bin but try again later.

Phoenix is much nicer than mozilla if you don't need a mail client.
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do use the cvs make sure to do USE="gtk2" emerge phoenix-cvs, it will make it look nicer.
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
skippy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, folks. I'm gonig to give it a try this week-end, I just have one question: What if I already have Mozilla installed and running? Should I un-install Mozilla first? Or just install phoenix over it or beside it?
dylix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you use the static-bin one, it shouldnt matter if u have mozilla or not..

but i could be wrong..
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skippy wrote:
Thanks for the tips, folks. I'm gonig to give it a try this week-end, I just have one question: What if I already have Mozilla installed and running? Should I un-install Mozilla first? Or just install phoenix over it or beside it?

I've had them both before and they run fine. The one issue is only one can be open at a time, and it you use any other mozilla apps, you may need to open mozilla first to point there.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: