Crash on GRUB
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dakkar9999
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Crash on GRUB Reply with quote

Hi,

Maybe i missed it, if so, sorry.

I was doing the install from stage 1 and all the way up until the GRUB config step 9 i believe... Anyway, GRUB crashed badly and I had to do a reset on my system. Now, if I load with the install cd, it seems like my GRUB file does not exist anymore... I'm not sure, did I loose part of my setup? Where should I restart the installation from, and how? (I hope not from the beginning...:cry: )

Thank You!

P.S. I'd like to use this machine for video editing... anybody has any good experience? (I have an AMD64)
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just boot the cd and chroot again. Then you can pick up the install where you left off, with installing grub that is.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
MickKi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to retrace your steps in mounting your partitions before chrooting. If you forget to mount /boot things won't go as expected!
Dakkar9999
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You!

I was able to continue my "experiment" with GRUB... I realized that the error message I was getting is that GRUB was looking for a floppy drive which I don't have on this computer...

So now I can log in and play around in the GRUB.conf file... although I still didn't get to boot properly... Anyway, here are the command lines I have been using to remount my installation. Could you please verify that I'm not missing anything important? Thanks!

swapon /dev/sda2 (I'm running from the second drive considered RAID by the system... not too sure)
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update (??)
source /etc/profile (??)

(??)= don't think it's really needed.
MickKi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dakkar9999,

Not sure how RAID behaves but to get back into a normal set up your should add the following (in bold):
Dakkar9999 wrote:
swapon /dev/sda2 (I'm running from the second drive considered RAID by the system... not too sure)

mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo <--assuming that root is on /dev/sda3-->
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
cd /mnt/gentoo
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update && source /etc/profile

(??)= don't think it's really needed. <--yes, they are!-->[/quote]
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dakkar9999 wrote:
I was able to continue my "experiment" with GRUB... I realized that the error message I was getting is that GRUB was looking for a floppy drive which I don't have on this computer...
If you haven't solved that problem yet, try using the --no-floppy option with grub-install

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Dakkar9999
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I did try... but it still scanned forever (giving the fd0 sector 0 error) and after a while it would get over it. I did solve it by changing the .map file (can't remember the name right now...

Just to be clear...

env-update && source /etc/profile... what does the "&&" refer to? or is this a litteral line of command?

Thanks!
frenkel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dakkar9999 wrote:
Yeah I did try... but it still scanned forever (giving the fd0 sector 0 error) and after a while it would get over it. I did solve it by changing the .map file (can't remember the name right now...

Just to be clear...

env-update && source /etc/profile... what does the "&&" refer to? or is this a litteral line of command?

Thanks!

Execute source /etc/profile after executing env-update, so it's the same as
# env-update
# source /etc/profile
MickKi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frenkel wrote:
Dakkar9999 wrote:
Like: /boot/grub/device.map?
Frenkel wrote:
Dakkar9999 wrote:

Just to be clear...

Execute source /etc/profile after executing env-update, so it's the same as
# env-update
# source /etc/profile
Yes, sorry I didn't mean to cause confusion. '&&' refers to the 'AND' control operator. From the bash manual:
Code:
 An AND list has the form
              command1 && command2
       command2  is  executed  if,  and only if, command1 returns an exit
       status of zero.
In other words the 2nd command's execution is conditional upon the 1st command's successful completion (otherwise it aborts). Essentially, it runs both commands in sequence as long as the first command completes successfully, just as you would by entering them manually one at a time as shown by Frenkel above.
Dakkar9999
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyway of having GRUB automatically configured... I'm pretty lost... actually I wiped my HD... It seemed it did not liked being on a SATA setup. I seem to have read that they can be pretty fussy.

I think I'll give it another try but from a second IDE HD (should be easier...maybe...)
MickKi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grub's not that difficult as long as you remember to start counting drives and partitions from zero and that both hda and sda are seen as hd0 (in other words Grub will run what ever your BIOS passes on to it: ATA, or SATA, or SCSI).

Other points of confusion are building the correct drivers in your kernel (not as modules) for your motherboard's chipset and SATA drive.

It is extremely rare to need to wipe your drive and start again - unless your machine was compromised by a cracker. In most occasions troubleshooting and fixing the problem will teach you more.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: