Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Going totally MAD trying to sync Palm. Please HELP!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazarus18
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Going totally MAD trying to sync Palm. Please HELP! Reply with quote

So I am not an idiot, really. I have done everything I think I'm supposed to do for this to work. But it doesn't. I have USB-serial and Visor support compiled into the kernel. I have hotplug. When I hotsync the Clie (PEG-SJ30) I see it pop up in usbview. But I can't sync to it. Nothing ever shows up in /dev/usb/tts or in /dev/ttyUSB. I'm fairly sure I'm using devfs. I have tried making both these options with mknod per all the instructions I've seen. I've chmod 777'd them. No matter what I do, coldsync says there is no device and it's sleeping waiting for something to happen. All the other programs return equivalent error messages.

Where the heck is my Clie showing up? I have to think for some odd reason it's landing in the wrong place in /dev, but I don't know how to find it. I wish there were a way to look it up from usbview or something.

If anyone has a solution PLEASE let me know, this is seriously irking me and is probably bad for my health.
Homebrew Athlon-xp 1800+ MHz, 512 MB DDR-RAM, GeForce 3Ti 500, Gentoo Linux, WinXP
insomniac
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you 'tail -f /var/log/messages' and then press hotsync on the Clie? If the correct modules are loaded you should get a message about which device the clie is connected to...
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the output of dmesg|tail. You should see a line about your clie. I have my visor syncig fine, and see
Code:
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Palm 4.0 / Clié 4.x converter detected
visor.c: Handspring Visor / Palm 4.0 / Clié 4.x: Number of ports: 2
visor.c: Handspring Visor / Palm 4.0 / Clié 4.x: port 1, is for Generic use and is bound to ttyUSB0
visor.c: Handspring Visor / Palm 4.0 / Clié 4.x: port 2, is for HotSync use and is bound to ttyUSB1
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Palm 4.0 / Clié 4.x converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs)
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Palm 4.0 / Clié 4.x converter now attached to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for devfs)
every time I hit the hotsync button.
sklettke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazarus18, you might want to check out this webpage: http://www.linuxpda.com/visor/howto/current/kernel.html

I had exactly the same problem as you, but according to that website you do not want to use the "UHCI Alternate (JE)" driver. Check your kernel config again and compile the usb-uhci one into the kernel or as a modules(that's what I used and it worked perfectly). Then it should work. If that doesn't work, then make sure that your clie actually does hotsync (try it in windows or on someone else's linux box). My clie had stopped hotsyncing for whatever reason and to get it working again I had to use the palm os's built-in "dot" shortcuts. Do a google search for them. The basic thing is go to memo pad and draw the shortcut symbol in graffiti and then a period and then a 1. Then do a hard reset (but be warned, this will delete all the data on the palm, restoring it with only the factory built in apps). Then, at least for me, that restored the hotsync funtionality and my palm is finally hotsyncing, Avantgo and everything, perfectly. I still can't get Plucker compiled correctly, so if anyone has any suggestions? :-) Also, Jpilot works better for me than Kpilot.

Scott
modal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the exact problem, i had given up all hope...but, maybe this uhci thing will bring love and joy to my boxen.
blamothe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know if this has already been posted, but you have to make sure that you are not using the uhci alternate driver, but the original driver. gentoo sources puts the alternate driver in by default, so you have to go in and change it. it will also be pretty helpful to enable the primary usb device filesystem in the filesystems section of your kernel config, then, as root, do
Code:
ln -s /dev/usb/tts/1 pilot
and
Code:
ln -s /dev/usb/tts/1 palm
this will make all the major syncing programs sync to your palm pilot by default without you changing any of the settings. they usually expect to see /dev/pilot or /dev/palm there. thats all you have to do, and your clie should be working fine.
kRock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrd wrote:
Look at the output of dmesg|tail. You should see a line about your clie. I have my visor syncig fine, and see
Code:
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Palm 4.0 / Clié 4.x converter detected
visor.c: Handspring Visor / Palm 4.0 / Clié 4.x: Number of ports: 2
visor.c: Handspring Visor / Palm 4.0 / Clié 4.x: port 1, is for Generic use and is bound to ttyUSB0
visor.c: Handspring Visor / Palm 4.0 / Clié 4.x: port 2, is for HotSync use and is bound to ttyUSB1
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Palm 4.0 / Clié 4.x converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs)
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Palm 4.0 / Clié 4.x converter now attached to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for devfs)
every time I hit the hotsync button.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm having problems with this.

I have all of this data pop up in my dmesg, as well as /var/log/messages, yet I cannot sync with Evolution..

Any idea's are welcome - I've linked my /dev/usb/tts/1 to /dev/pilot.
kRock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed to get a bit further.

However, when I try to sync now with Evolution it just does a very brief sync, that seemingly doesn't do anything. When I attempt to tell the Gnome Pilot settings to syncronize, and / or get from the palm, it does nothing. After confirming those settings it just goes straight back to "Use conduit settings"
undrwater
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have "pda" in your USE= in /etc/make.conf?

I'm at this stage at the moment...because somehow gnome-pilot-conduits is breaking my compile of evo. :P

Good Luck
kRock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yipes! i didn't. oh boy do I have to recompile evolution 1.4 now?
daktak
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep :(
undrwater
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaarrrgghhh!! :evil:

even with pda in my USE i cannot emerge gnome-pilot-conduits!

I'm getting this error:
In file included from email_conduit.c:20:
/usr/local/include/gpilotd/gnome-pilot-conduit.h:4:25: glib-object.h: No such file or directory
In file included from email_conduit.c:20:
/usr/local/include/gpilotd/gnome-pilot-conduit.h:67: parse error before "gnome_pilot_conduit_get_type"
In file included from email_conduit.c:21:
/usr/local/include/gpilotd/gnome-pilot-conduit-standard.h:4:25: glib-object.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /usr/local/include/gpilotd/gnome-pilot-conduit-standard.h:15,
from email_conduit.c:21:
/usr/local/include/gpilotd/gnome-pilot-conduit.h:4:25: glib-object.h: No such file or directory
In file included from email_conduit.c:21:
/usr/local/include/gpilotd/gnome-pilot-conduit-standard.h:62: parse error before "gnome_pilot_conduit_standard_get_type"
sed -e 's^\@prefix\@^/usr^g' < ./sendmail.conduit.in > sendmail.conduit.tmp \
&& mv sendmail.conduit.tmp sendmail.conduit
email_conduit.c: In function `conduit_get_gpilot_conduit':
email_conduit.c:517: parse error before "GnomePilotConduit"
make[1]: *** [email_conduit.lo] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-pilot-conduits-0.9/work/gnome-pilot-conduits-0.9/email'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

!!! ERROR: gnome-extra/gnome-pilot-conduits-0.9 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 41, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

I've tried compiling with and without "pda" in USE. Maybe there's a version problem?

I hope someone has some idea.[/img]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: