Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonotme
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTZ wrote:
Syndicate

and i'm glad you mentioned Syndicate! i remember playing that for hours. dungeon keeper was fun too.
Intangir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure if anyone has mentioned it
but THE BEST game for dos was Master of Orion 2
ahubu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to mention Syndicate again, that was really cool. I was so disappointed with Syndicate Wars, because they switched from hi-res vga to low-res svga, and it looked fugly! I have been searching for ways to find configsettings to higher the res, man was I desperate :)

some more:

Sensible Soccer
Dune 2

and YES: sopwith && Ancient Art of War.. those bring back memories.
whiskey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a huge Doom fan, but I must admit that Tie Fighter topped even that, IMHO.

I still had some of the MIDI music from that running through my head 5 years after I had stopped playing that game.
atrus123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great DOS games?

Privateer takes the cake here, though I also totally enjoyed the first and second WC games as well.

Ahh, the days of configuring and reconfiguring autoexec to squeeze out those last few bytes of ram needed for that new game.

J.
Aonoa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the good old DOS games.. when funny and cool were before graphics and effects.

Day of the Tentacle, awfully nice adventure game. I liked Legend of Kyrandia series a lot too.
Doom and Duke Nukem were the best shoot'em ups, Rise of the Triad was nice as well.
Syndicate and Crusader: No Regret.
And all the old D&D-like roleplaying games, the Ultima 1-8 series. Ultima Underworld.

The list just goes on and on, can't even remember all of them..
MrPrise
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to name some games that I played with anno:
Wizardry VII
Eye of the Beholder II
Dungeon Master II
Transport Tycoon Deluxe, Railroad Tycoon
Civilization
Lost Vikings 1 & 2 (the first was the better I think)
Another World, Flashback
UFO 1,2
DOOM 2 and Duke Nukem 3d of course on LAN
Constructor (very cool game, but only a few people heard of it, I think)
the Elite games (Privateer too)
Lands of Lore 1 (2 and 3 too, but those are run on win and were worse as RPG)
MadTV
Heroes of Might and Magic I-II
Norton Commander :-D
Ah, don't forget Blackthorne and Tank Wars and than Scorched Earth
Panzer General
Ironman Offroad
Starcontrol
Stunts
der bastler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best DOS game? That's my first game I bought: Aces of the Pacific, 100 DM in '92, several months of pocket money, but worth every Pfennig!
Still one of the best sims, offering an unrivalled balance between realism and gameplay. I wish someone could fork Flightgear to create a modern Linux version of Aces of the Pacific (no time to do it by myself).

The Secret of Monkey Island. Its atmosphere is still unrivalled, at least for me. I play it sometimes on my Palm thanks to ScummVM.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (the man with the hat, selling leather jackets, real cinema on my 386)

Day of the Tentacle (kick the speaker to shake the fake vomit from the ceiling... 'nuf said)

Full Throttle (very short, but I loved the soundtrack and thus imported "Bone to Pick" and "Out and About With... The Gone Jackals")

Speaking of the soundtrack of Full Throttle, to me it's linked with Jagged Alliance, which I played while listening to The Gone Jackals.

Wing Command 1 & 2 -- Recently I discovered the soundtrack (http://www.wcnews.com/music/albums.shtml) and the memories came back. Indeed games with very good atmosphere. Same with Privateer. At least the last one is available for Linux, although it is not in Portage yet.

Origin in general. Underworld or Strike Commander were champions in technology and gameplay and story. Today best you can get are only two out of three (which ain't bad). Exception: Deus Ex, definitely the best game of the last decade, but I am leaving DOS terrain...

Grand Theft Auto. Yes, the DOS version with 3dfx acceleration! Those were the days, private Lan parties with coaxial cables, terminators and t-connectors and much fun. No moronic pseudo-l33t kiddies with light and water inside their computers, just some PC gamers having fun.

And many more... I still have all the games with boxes, but they are stored in our dunge...cellar, just next to the old PCs and the boiler...
Iron_DragonLord
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lords of the Realm II

I sometimes still play that game... Best game ever.
MrPrise
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes GTA was cool :-) It is a pitty we can't play as a cop :-(
I don't understand why they left out that opportunity from the game.
There were bad guys (us) and good guys in the game (one player mode).
It is so obvious we want play as bad or good.
There is a similar case with NFS UG nowadays. But now I think the money is the reason.
They released a nice game once and they can release again with a new option to play as a cop. And most people will buy the game because of that. I feel the game's real spirit died. The money killed it... :-(
In the DOS time almost every games was fun to play. But now... Too much titles and most of them are crap. :-( I cannot find easily a game to say whoa, that's a cool game!
I always find something wrong. Yes, I'm playing games for a long time and I expect much more than the games provide now... Nice graphics, nice sound, music, but where is the original idea or the perfect realization? Some of the games try to make us (the players) fool and they just want to steal our money. That's how I feel about much of the games today.
I know, there are always exceptions like HalfLife 2 and maybe everybody know some games that worths the prices. But there are only a few of them :-(
Good old DOS games were the real fun :-)
der bastler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrPrise wrote:
In the DOS time almost every games was fun to play. But now... Too much titles and most of them are crap. :-( I cannot find easily a game to say whoa, that's a cool game!
I always find something wrong. Yes, I'm playing games for a long time and I expect much more than the games provide now... Nice graphics, nice sound, music, but where is the original idea or the perfect realization? Some of the games try to make us (the players) fool and they just want to steal our money. That's how I feel about much of the games today.

Just read Ron Gilbert's blog: http://grumpygamer.com/

ScummVM for Nintendo DS? [http://grumpygamer.com/4172170]
Ron discovered SDL... [http://grumpygamer.com/9848959]
Marketing! Marketing! Marketing! [http://grumpygamer.com/1230269]

From the last one "Burn The House Down" is worth reading: http://crystaltips.typepad.com/wonderland/2005/03/burn_the_house_.html
...especially Greg Costikyan's rant...

Anyway, to me it seems modern gaming consists mostly of how-to-kill-in-realistic-3D with detailed versions of weapons for the expert kids ("That M4 has a wrong safety catch!")... :roll:

But there's Dosbox and a pile of games in the dunge...cellar... :wink:
Jargon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looking throught his thread has brought back a lot of fond memories :)
Some of my most favourite games include:

Elite+
Syndicate
Ultima 8
Doom (first game I ever multiplayed on null modem connection wooo!)
Quake (I still think its better than 2 and 3 heh)

MrPrise wrote:
Constructor (very cool game, but only a few people heard of it, I think)

My god, this is an amazing game. I want to play it so badly but I just cannot get it to work on any platform. I've tried everything from wine to dosbox. It just doesn't like it. I even have a legit copy of it :(
__Jackal__
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer 2 and X-Wing! I finished X-wing, or the 2nd one when you played on the darkside, in one day. Privateer was another favorite of mine. I didn't play privateer 2 though... i guess there is no chance of me doing emerge privateer2 when i get home?! hehe
MJOE
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duke Nukem was my favorite. :D I haven't played that in a looong time though.
http://www.vmcsatellite.com/channels/affiliates.cfm?aid=115829
radr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: late to the draw here... but... Reply with quote

one of my all time favorite dos games was Tom Landry Strategy Football... i played that for a super mega long time until origional floppy media died.. this i would love to play again but it cannot be found anymore...

as far as other games i played too many to list off.. most of all which were calssified as decent...
a few of em:
doom
commander keen
duke nukem

insert edit here: quake : end edit

unfortunately for me sometime after my old 386 died i discovered girls and parties......

no im married an dont get to play much anymore. heh
der bastler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, oh, there are classic party games I forgot:

M.U.D.S. -- Mean Ugly Dirty Sports.
We had a lot of fun in the early 90s, playing it on one PC with two players. Some sort of non-lan-party where nobody brings a pc...

Wings of Fury -- Although indexed here in Germany, another all-time classic for a party of kids. Never understood why the PC version had no sky bitmap and no engine sound sample like the much better Amiga version.

Wolfstein 3D -- "Mein Leben!" Don't think there's much to say... a classic! :D

Apart from that the simulations of Microprose were excellent. As were their printed, detailed manuals describing not only installation and control but also technology, avionics and politics! Yes, a manual on real paper! A hardcopy! Foreign word today...
williamjonah
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultima 7, thatwas by far one of the best!
MrPrise
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Constructor works with DOSBox 0.63 Reply with quote

Quote:

My god, this is an amazing game. I want to play it so badly but I just cannot get it to work on any platform. I've tried everything from wine to dosbox. It just doesn't like it. I even have a legit copy of it :(

It works for me with DOSbox 0.63 on Linux.
Btw I would like to make a remake of Constructor. If anyone willing to help me pls pm.
ccosse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asteroids! i was just admiring how light-weight it is, too. on my old old old laptop
it runs so smoothe. hardly anything runs on that old machine.
Snaketails
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we talking about DOS or Windows/gfx based games?

I would say the best game in the adventure realm would have to be ZORK..

The first time I played this game was on a Webster's Spectrum 11/780 mini main-frame, but I would have loved to have played it on the MIT system when it started overtaking the system
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eye of the Beholder 1+2
Die Sielder 1
Privateer 1
Transport Tycoon
Ultima 8
Ultima Underworld 1+2
UFO - X-Com
Wizadry 7
Warcraft 1+2
Civilisation
Monkey Island

-- John Sheridan - Babylon 5, Season 4
feminista
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has mentioned The Dig, more proof that it's the most underrated lucasarts adventure. Man, that game had atmosphere. The writing was great, the feel was great, even the voice acting was good. Masterpiece of a game.

But all the other LA adventures were great too. Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle.... yum.

I also was a big fan of Legend of Kyrandia 2: Hand of Fate, although I wouldn't say it's one of the best. Just very fun.

Hopefully great games like that will start coming back. Tim Schafer's still working, so there's still hope. And A Vampyre Story will come out once they find a publisher, it's made by ex-lucasarts developers, and looks like a classic adventure game with a little more pretty.
MrPrise
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. LA games was great. I played with Dig too and dott, Monkey Island, etc
I loved the old adventure games like Beneath a Steel Sky and there were other games but I don't remember their names. One of them was made by Revolution Games (maker of the Broken Sword trilogy. maybe this one is their first game on PC). It started in a cellar if I remember correctly. It was very nice game. There was another game wich played in the future in a sci-fi era. There was a machine in it which can change your sex, you can fly with starship, land on a planet, etc. I couldn't finish it, because it always freezed :-(( Does somebody know their names?
MrPrise
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eNTi wrote:
Die Sielder 1

What kind of game is that? I don't remember that one...
Ah, maybe is this the Settler 1?
We played the first Settler with my brother on one PC with two mouse in split screen :-)
It was cool :-D

Dungeon Hack? :-)
It was one of the early hack&slash games.
Random map, with random monsters, items, EOB-like graphics, you have to find the stairs to down to next level and you need a lot of mouse click for that ;-)
Menzoberranzan? It wasn't a perfect adaption, but I'm a RA Salvatore fun (especially Drizzt fun) so I played with this game.
eNTi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrPrise wrote:
eNTi wrote:
Die Sielder 1

What kind of game is that? I don't remember that one...
Ah, maybe is this the Settler 1?
We played the first Settler with my brother on one PC with two mouse in split screen :-)
It was cool :-D

Dungeon Hack? :-)
It was one of the early hack&slash games.
Random map, with random monsters, items, EOB-like graphics, you have to find the stairs to down to next level and you need a lot of mouse click for that ;-)
Menzoberranzan? It wasn't a perfect adaption, but I'm a RA Salvatore fun (especially Drizzt fun) so I played with this game.

yeah, right. "Die Siedler 1" is the original title of "The Settlers". it's german, as for the title originally came from germany.

-- John Sheridan - Babylon 5, Season 4
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: