[SOLVED] Sound Skips (ALSA)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vitaliy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Sound Skips (ALSA) Reply with quote

Code:
insomnia vitaliy # lspci -v | grep -i audio
0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio (rev 04)

I am having some problems with my sound, I have everything configured and everything appeared to be normal. The only problem I had then was I did not have multiplexing sound and the following has fixed it.
Code:
insomnia vitaliy # cat /home/vitaliy/.asoundrc
pcm.nforce-hw {
        type hw
        card 0
}
pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "nforce"
}
pcm.nforce {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1234
        ipc_perm 0660
        slave {
                pcm "hw:0,0"
                period_time 0
                period_size 1024
                buffer_size 4096
                #rate 44100
                rate 48000
        }
}
ctl.nforce-hw {
        type hw
        card 0
}

Everything works just fine now and got multiplexing sound working. The only thing is the sound skips whenever I am using my browser for example and click back button it would skip for a second. Or for example when I would click different news story in Lifera (GTK2 RSS reader) the sound would skip with every click. Just skips whenever I am using different applications.

Any idea what is causing this and how do I fix this?

Last edited by Vitaliy on Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total
RayDude
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Sound Skips (ALSA) Reply with quote

Vitaliy wrote:
Code:
insomnia vitaliy # lspci -v | grep -i audio
0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio (rev 04)

I am having some problems with my sound, I have everything configured and everything appeared to be normal. The only problem I had then was I did not have multiplexing sound and the following has fixed it.
Code:
insomnia vitaliy # cat /home/vitaliy/.asoundrc
pcm.nforce-hw {
        type hw
        card 0
}
pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "nforce"
}
pcm.nforce {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1234
        ipc_perm 0660
        slave {
                pcm "hw:0,0"
                period_time 0
                period_size 1024
                buffer_size 4096
                #rate 44100
                rate 48000
        }
}
ctl.nforce-hw {
        type hw
        card 0
}

Everything works just fine now and got multiplexing sound working. The only thing is the sound skips whenever I am using my browser for example and click back button it would skip for a second. Or for example when I would click different news story in Lifera (GTK2 RSS reader) the sound would skip with every click. Just skips whenever I am using different applications.

Any idea what is causing this and how do I fix this?

This problem has been reported many places in the forums.

If you have a slower processor or a lot of programs running, the software mixer can miss filling the audio buffer and cause skips. What I did to fix it on my P4M-2.4 was install a more efficient kernel. I'm running 2.6.13-mm1 (mm-sources) right now and I don't have the problem. (I got skips because my cpu throttles to 1.2 G when not busy). Apparently Firefox eats CPU cycles.

Search the forums, I've been out of the loop for a while, there may be better fixes out there. I've heard that a newer version of alsa with some optimization should make this problem go away for some...

For future reference it would help to post your kernel version, alsa version and system specs...

Raydude
Vitaliy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The box is Pentium 4 2GHz with 512MBram running 2.6.11-gentoo-r11 kernel (alsa is built into the kernel).
Slavo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmmm
if i was you i will not include alsa into kernel , (i tried that and had a lot of problems)
simply follow gentoo alsa guide
Vitaliy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slavo wrote:
hmmmmm
if i was you i will not include alsa into kernel , (i tried that and had a lot of problems)

Well I just recompiled my kernel and removed ALSA, then used alsa-driver. I must say that it did get better but it still manages to skip when I have some load (we are not talking about me compiling three different things at the same time but something as basic as having 3 tabs open in Firefox and clicking links).

Any more ideas? This is simply ridiculous.
RayDude
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vitaliy wrote:
Slavo wrote:
hmmmmm

Well I just recompiled my kernel and removed ALSA, then used alsa-driver. I must say that it did get better but it still manages to skip when I have some load (we are not talking about me compiling three different things at the same time but something as basic as having 3 tabs open in Firefox and clicking links).

Don't want to change kernels?

Actually I only got skips when I was merging, browsing and playing music... I think it was a threading priority thing... Not that I know anything about such things.

Have you tried increasing the buffer size in .asoundrc (or /etc/asound.conf)?

Raydude
Vitaliy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RayDude wrote:
Vitaliy wrote:
Slavo wrote:
hmmmmm

Don't want to change kernels?

Actually I only got skips when I was merging, browsing and playing music... I think it was a threading priority thing... Not that I know anything about such things.

Have you tried increasing the buffer size in .asoundrc (or /etc/asound.conf)?

Raydude

Did not really want to switch the kernel and would like to stick to stable Gentoo releases. I have tried increasing the buffer size and that has fixed it. Thank you so much, this was so minor and was bothering the living hell out of me!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: