View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNugget
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: [GNOME] No devices and no network connections in nautilus Reply with quote

Hello,

a short description of my problem: GNOME doesn't show any devices like harddiscs, dvdburner or other hardware like that in nautilus anymore. And when i say Nautilus i mean this place in Nautilus called "Computer", or at least that's what it's called here in my german GNOME. And it doesn't show any of my network-folders - the connections to the windows-shares of other computers in the network and the ftp-connections.

So, the long description: I rebooted my computer after doing some updates ("sysfsutils" and "udev", to mention the two important ones) and i was surprised, because i couldn't see my connection-icons on the desktop. I opened nautilus and was surprised, because i couldn't see my harddrives nor my cd/dvd-drives. First reaction was to browse the network for readding the windows-shares but nautilus just gives me this message:

"»smb:///« konnte nicht angezeigt werden." - Which means: "could not be displayed".

Next thing i tried to do was adding a new connection to a ftp-host, which worked fine, because i could browse the folders on the ftp-server, but i could not see an icon on the desktop.

Any hints what could be the problem and what should i try to re-emerge? If you want more information, just ask :)

regards,
MrNugget

//edit:

I forgot something: Totem isn't able to play discs anymore. It says the device could not be found in /etc/fstab. But there are the devices added properly and i can mount them without any problems. Strange thing.
psylence
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check logs for errors from gnome-vfs? Re-emerge it?
MrNugget
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can i check these logs?

Oh, and i noticed that i compiled udev with USE-Flag "static" by mistake. I recompiled it without this
flag, and recompiled gnome-vfs, hal and hotplug. But that didn't help. Damn.
MrNugget
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like my system is somehow borked. camorama (a webcam program) has problems detecting my webcam when started and other things like that. I need some help, because i don't know what i could do to repair my system. thanks.

edit: damn it, even gnomad and the juxebox won't work. oh yeah, and the update mentionaed in the first post contained these packages: udev, linux-headers, abiword, gzip, kbd, sysfsutils, libsigc++, glibmm, gtkmm, boehm-gc, inkscape. And yeah, i rebooted after this update without problems i think. But then i shut down the computer, changed a dvd-drive with a small hdd and booted.. and then the problems began.
MrNugget
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, i know this is the third post in a row. But this is important! Really!

This is the funniest and unlogical thing ever happened to me with my linuxsystem: The little HDD has nothing to do with linux! It's a fat32 partition used for gaming under windows and is not mounted on startup. I remplaced my dvd-drive with this HDD and i got into problems. Being curious about the problems i replaced them again, so i got my old setup: 2 hdds on IDE1, and two optical devices on IDE2. And hell, somethign works again. GNOME shows my new devices and the old ones.

But camorama doesn't work, gnomad (for mp3-player) says it has no permission for usb-drives and totem still doesn't work ("No permission"). After i chmodded /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd to 777 i can play DVDs. Maybe it's all borked because i used cfdisk/fdisk to change the partitions on the little hdd?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: