Gentoo Install Guide Hosed? [NEVERMIND-SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtaski
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Install Guide Hosed? [NEVERMIND-SOLVED] Reply with quote

Has anyone relied on the install guide to do a stage1 lately? Heck even a stage3 probably won't work... Much of it needs some overhaul.... it's practically worthless now and is even more of a negative because it just doesn't work...

The bootstrap.sh portion is completely left out.... hmmm... it's tough to install without bootstrapping... no joke, it's not there

Last edited by xtaski on Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

What guide are you following? Are you using the Gentoo Handbook? The 2005.0 Handbook is made for those wishing to do a networkless install, so it doesn't include the instructions to do a Stage1. Were you looking there?
The guides may not be perfect, but those who've made them did a wonderful job trying to prevent people from getting into troube. The single largest problem with installations that I've seen here in the forums, is that people have a hard-time following the guides - everyone just needs to do their own deviation. Those without enough experience, frequently find themselves in a tough corner.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
dgaffuri
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

just to say that the guides allowed me to install FIRST Gentoo (stage 3) in about 1 day and the second one (usermode, with bootstrapping) in 4 hours. A big thank to people maintaining them.
xtaski
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do Gentoo full installs, stage 1 about once every couple months. I've never even done a stage3 so that's why I wasn't sure why the guide was skipping the bootstrap... This was my second time doing a 2005.0... but this time I decided to go back and follow the install guide which I haven't done for a while. I just wanted to see if there was anything new...

I guess if it's not for stage1 installs, then maybe I'm overreacting. Don't you have to bootstrap on a stage3 as well?? I thought they used to incorporate stage1 into it, but maybe they've dropped that entirely. That's a shame b/c I've always found stage1 to be very rewarding...

Just wasn't sure what happened to the guide... if the focus is only on stage3 now, then I guess that answers my question... but raises another - how can we expect people to become new Gentoo stage1'ers without any guide???

Last edited by xtaski on Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
xtaski
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm following the wrong guide... This is what I was using:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2005.0/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=7

I noticed this one doesn't have the "Progressing from Stage1 to Stage2" ... stuff in it.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtaski wrote:

I noticed this one doesn't have the "Progressing from Stage1 to Stage2" ... stuff in it.
That's strictly a Stage3/GRP install handbook. The normal handbook can be found here.
xtaski
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha, thanks... so much for using Google to find the right install guide!
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtaski wrote:

That's why I asked what guide you were following! You need to follow the Gentoo Handbook to do an Stage1 or Stage2 install. The data is there, so they didn't drop it.
By the way, have you ever done a Stage1/3 install? I think they're the most rewarding install method available. If you've never heard of it, search for "Bob P" posts and you'll find them.

Help answer || emwrap.sh
dgaffuri
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtaski wrote:

Maybe it's so. Just said.

jmbsvicetto wrote:
Hi.

What guide are you following? Are you using the Gentoo Handbook? The 2005.0 Handbook is made for those wishing to do a networkless install, so it doesn't include the instructions to do a Stage1. Were you looking there?
The guides may not be perfect, but those who've made them did a wonderful job trying to prevent people from getting into troube. The single largest problem with installations that I've seen here in the forums, is that people have a hard-time following the guides - everyone just needs to do their own deviation. Those without enough experience, frequently find themselves in a tough corner.

Take a look at

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml

the 2005.0 handbook says

Code:
Gentoo 2005.0 Handbook
Content:

1. The Gentoo Linux 2005.0 Handbooks

Introduction

Welcome to the Gentoo Linux 2005.0 Handbooks. These handbooks are released together with the Gentoo Linux releases and contain the necessary installation instructions to install Gentoo Linux 2005.0 without an internet connection.

However, if you want to install Gentoo Linux using the latest versions of all available packages, please use the Installation Instructions in the Gentoo Linux Handbook for your architecture.
xtaski
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of the 1/3 install, but never really understood what it was... Can you give me the quick summary of why you found it more rewarding? I'm going to guess it requires building the stuff I usually drop in when I unpack the stage1 tarball??
xtaski
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the latest 1/3... What did you like most about going this route?

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-345229-highlight-bob+p.html
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it's more rewarding, because you start with a clean system, thus avoiding most causes for Stage1 troubles, and get to rebuild the system with the same configurability a Stage1 offers and are thus capable of ripping the same benefits.
So basically, it gives you the same advantages, but at a lower cost. The end result is the same, but the road there has less bumps - at least that's my opinion.

Help answer || emwrap.sh
xtaski
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, I've never really had stage1 problems (would like to do it cleanly though..). I've helped out a few friends who've run into problems... Maybe I'll try that out next time. I'd probably find it a bit more rewarding to try an install building everything with gcc 4.0.1 8O although I can already imagine the volume of hacks I'll have to put together to get it up...
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan on playing with GCC 4.0 anytime soon, then you not only should be running the testing branch, which I do, but must update the systems almost daily and perhaps have contemplated on the virtues of a cron job to do emerge -uDp world! :lol: I hope that you never planned on using the last part, tough.
If you do follow that road, let me know what bumps to avoid and what tricks you've learned. :wink: :D

Help answer || emwrap.sh
xtaski
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'll let you know... I need to have a system that I can steadily work at over a few weeks...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: