View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gcasillo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Just got Half-Life 2, what to expect? Reply with quote

I got Half-Life 2 today based on good reviews and a bout of Summer boredom. I have a Windows partition to run it on. Never played the original HL or Counterstrike games.

So what should I expect from HL2? Am I a fool for not buying and playing the original HL first? Will I have trouble stepping away from my PC? If so, for how long (game hours in HL2)? I will note that I don't really care about multi-player, and I was sold on HL2 as I read it had a good storyline in it. Got a 6600GT to run it. Believe it will look good.

Gonna have dinner then install. Can't frag on an empty stomach. :)
routerguy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Half Life 2 silver. I don't use it, though... I just don't have the guts to install Windows.

I've played it, it's fun, and it's immersive. You'll enjoy it. :)
steve_d555
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pure Awesomeness :D

I played about half of HL1 then quit, but I like HL2 much, much better and you shouldn't have much of a problem picking up the story. And a 6600GT is more than enough. I have one and the game looks absolutely amazing.
Arainach
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not going to understand ANYTHING if you don't play HL1 first. I highly reccomend it.
routerguy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Half Life 1 is in fact a very good game. One of it's greatest strengths is that it immerses you in the game world by putting you in the 1st person, exclusively.
InsaneHamster
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic0 wrote:
I agree. Half Life 1 is in fact a very good game. One of it's greatest strengths is that it immerses you in the game world by putting you in the 1st person, exclusively.

only game i need to run in linux is really cs 1.6

but it would be nice to have cs:s

i hope my x700 card will be able to do it :twisted:
HomerSimpson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not play HL1, Unreal or Doom but I did play HL2 and I loved it. It is the best single player game I have ever played. I play the military games and shooting aliens isn't all that interesting to me. Although I really liked HL2. There were parts that I did not understand (I assume because I didn't play HL1) but I thoroughly enjoyed the game.

So what to expect?

A lot of late nights not wanting to stop playing...
Nightmares from some of the scenes...
A good time playing a computer game...

Report back after you have played it
steve_d555
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HomerSimpson wrote:
Nightmares from some of the scenes...

Ravenholm..... *shudder*. Took me forever to get past it.
suineg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I might be in the minority here, but I have played both 1 and 2 all the way through, and I think that the original is WAY better. The second one just seemed way too short and way too easy.
The story didn't come together as nicely as I had hoped either. I was hoping for two things:

who the hell is the suited fella, and maybe more importantly, what the hell is going on?

neither of which were *satisfactorily* answered.

Definately do yourself a favor and play the first one first. In fact, play halflife:source. Its the original running with the source engine = prettier graphics and MUCH better ai/physics.
Timbers2k
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't beleive no one mentioned Steam. I never bought HL2 and I don't plan on doing it, ever. I played some at a friends house and it seemed like a great game, I played the first one and loved it (except for the stupid jumping in Xen). But Steam sucks! It sucks bad. I want a single player game that I can play whenever I want to, all I should need is power to the PC, but with Steam you always need a net connection. We played for about 30 minutes, then quit to eat. We came back to it a while later and his cable modem was down. That's it, can't play the damn game. I know there are hacks out there to get around it, but they shouldn't be needed. OK. cable is back, lets play. No, Steam has decided that you need an update to the game. It will be ready in 45 minutes! I don't want to play in 45 minutes, I want to play now! This isn't multiplayer, I don't NEED the update!

Nope, I will never buy any game that uses such a totally hosed up system.
steve_d555
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steam Offline? Though Steam still does suck.
gcasillo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I don't like HL2. I'm moving through the city, through a bunch of rubble. Just seems too guided. Run, jump, crawl, shoot, rinse, and repeat. It looks great, and the interaction between characters is well done. But the levels seem to have singular entry and destination points with only one way between them. Yawn.

Hope it picks up soon.
gcasillo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extremely disappointed. I'm to the point where the guy yells, "We're being shelled," and the face suckers come out to play. This game is terrible. I guess to each his own, but this is boring to me. Stacking stuff up so I can jump and crawl is not interesting. The game is basically a level designer saying, "Go here. Stack this. Jump. Go here." Very closed-ended.
steve_d555
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats exactly like HL1.... If you on easy try normal and so on and so forth. And I guess theyre coming out with a sequel soon anyway. We'll see what thats like.
gcasillo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't. I sold HL2 tonight. Just didn't do it for me. Man, I'm having a hard time finding a good distraction. :cry:
steve_d555
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcasillo wrote:
I won't. I sold HL2 tonight. Just didn't do it for me. Man, I'm having a hard time finding a good distraction. :cry:

Get into a good RPG. Personally I don't like them most of the time. Only one I ever really liked was KOTOR. Or, if EA finally fixes all the bugs, Battlefield 2. 1942 and Vietnam were awesome games and I still play sometimes with friends.
routerguy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcasillo wrote:
Extremely disappointed. I'm to the point where the guy yells, "We're being shelled," and the face suckers come out to play. This game is terrible. I guess to each his own, but this is boring to me. Stacking stuff up so I can jump and crawl is not interesting. The game is basically a level designer saying, "Go here. Stack this. Jump. Go here." Very closed-ended.

Just wait till you try Doom 3....
gcasillo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't buy Doom3, because the demo seemed just as I describe my HL2 experience to be. Very closed-ended and linear. Didn't even get past that demo for Doom3. :(

Sadly, I think the single-player, non-networked game experience has been cast off in favor of the multiplayer, online variety. Actually, I know it has. I just wish some developer out there would give these shooters a little flavor for folks like me who want to play offline.

I'd take second-rate graphics to see it happen too, e.g. Deus Ex. Anymore, its as if the better the game looks, e.g. HL2 or Max Payne 2, the worse the gameplay is.
routerguy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with you. In fact, I recommend that you play morrowind. If you don't know much about it, it's a first / third person 3d single player RPG that immerses you in the game and allows you to make your own path. Literally: the island is huge, and you can go anywhere you want, in any order. However, you will have to use Windows or Cedega, as I don't think it works in wine. :(
m0p
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HL2 sucks, HL1 for teh big win!
gcasillo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic0 wrote:
I completely agree with you. In fact, I recommend that you play morrowind. If you don't know much about it, it's a first / third person 3d single player RPG that immerses you in the game and allows you to make your own path. Literally: the island is huge, and you can go anywhere you want, in any order. However, you will have to use Windows or Cedega, as I don't think it works in wine. :(

You know, Morrowind was the first game that came to mind last night as the polar opposite of HL2 and Doom3. Very open-ended. I only got a tiny bit into that game before I sent it along with a video card I sold (it came w/ the card). Might have to give that a looksy again.
routerguy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcasillo wrote:
Mystic0 wrote:

You know, Morrowind was the first game that came to mind last night as the polar opposite of HL2 and Doom3. Very open-ended. I only got a tiny bit into that game before I sent it along with a video card I sold (it came w/ the card). Might have to give that a looksy again.

Definitly take another look. You can probobly find it for $15 or less!
Jengu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I wouldn't say morrowind is a whole lot better. Sure, pick a quest, but then complete it linearly ;)
zecora
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the game alot.
vonhelmet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Games have always been very linear. It's only in recent times that a few have deviated and given us the chance for more that we are getting used to the idea. Try something like Deus Ex, or - even better - System Shock 2. SS2 is pretty old, and the graphics are primitive, but it is one of the scariest, most atmospheric, involving games I've ever played. It scared the life out of me just playing it on easy. It's challenging and does require you to think. Highly recommended.

HL2 is an achievement, but I do accept the linearity criticism. And yes, I'm currently playing through Doom 3, and that suffers from it terribly.

I'm told Far Cry is much better in terms of open endedness, but I've not got round to playing it yet. It's queued up in my drawer of games at the moment.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: