View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshyc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:27 am    Post subject: Grammar Checker Reply with quote

Anybody know of any grammar checkers for linux? I'm looking for something like the grammar checker in word. It's handy for quicky scanning through a paper for passive tenses, dangling modifiers etc etc...

Thanks a lot!
P-Nuts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Grammar Checker Reply with quote

joshyc wrote:
Anybody know of any grammar checkers for linux? I'm looking for something like the grammar checker in word. It's handy for quicky scanning through a paper for passive tenses, dangling modifiers etc etc...

I wonder if it notices when people write "etc" twice as well. :wink: You could look at http://www.gnu.org/software/diction/diction.html, which may be useful, other than that I don't know of any grammar checking software for Linux.

I've seen Word's attempt at it, and it can be rather pitiful. It tends to flag things which are actually quite correct. Maybe it doesn't work as well for British English as it does for US English. It seems good at spotting word forms that are frequently misused, but not at telling whether they are in fact misused in the particular instance.

I think that these programs are no substitute for printing out and scribbling in red ink. (I can recommend Fowler's Modern English Usage as a useful bible of good style.)

This page appears to give fairly sane advice about the passive voice.
Hal Pacino
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that the Microsoft's grammar checkers for Italian and French are so useful, that I'm tempted to get word. When I was at university studying Italian and French, I checked all my documents at school so I could check the grammar. It checks gender and number accord between past participles and preceeding direct objects. Great for second-language speakers.

Linux needs to step up.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: