View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hocmin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: XChat2 disconnects when joining channel Reply with quote

I hang out in a couple channels in Undernet and I've been getting this weird reoccuring problem. Some days when I start XChat2 and try to join a specific channel I get the error "Disconnected (Remote host closed socket)" and get disconnected from the undernet server. If I try to reconnect to the server without closing the tab for the channel that seems to have resulted in the problem, I'll repeatedly get that error. Closing that tab makes the problem go away. Any attempt to rejoin that channel results in the same error.

The only way I've been able to make the problem go away is to delete my .xchat2/ directory, but eventually it comes back again. I'm really not sure what's causing this or how to solve it. Any suggestions?

I've got the latest version of xchat available.

Thanks
corley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: XChat2 disconnects when joining channel Reply with quote

Weird. I am using Xchat (current) and no problems like that, although I am connecting through a BNC. Maybe there is an exploit for Xchat out that people can knock you off. You have some enemies on IRC? :) Does this happen on other networks as well? Connection closed by socket sounds suspect to me. You should try using a bounce anyways. I don't like exposing my own IP to the wolves... although I don't know how undernet is running these days.

I have seen a weird problem too about not being able to join channels with foreign characters in the names. I do not have that problem with BitchX just Xchat.

hocmin wrote:
I hang out in a couple channels in Undernet and I've been getting this weird reoccuring problem. Some days when I start XChat2 and try to join a specific channel I get the error "Disconnected (Remote host closed socket)" and get disconnected from the undernet server. If I try to reconnect to the server without closing the tab for the channel that seems to have resulted in the problem, I'll repeatedly get that error. Closing that tab makes the problem go away. Any attempt to rejoin that channel results in the same error.

The only way I've been able to make the problem go away is to delete my .xchat2/ directory, but eventually it comes back again. I'm really not sure what's causing this or how to solve it. Any suggestions?

I've got the latest version of xchat available.

Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: