Root Filesystem corrupt
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mart_man00
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Root Filesystem corrupt Reply with quote

help!!!!!!!!!! my root is corrupt!!!!

i was installing gentoo linux and after serveral hours it was finally done compiling, but i forgot to run lilo. so i just boot from the cd and tried to mount root, but i cant!!! i get that the superblock couldnt be read. i tried running fsck but nothing. i really need some help here!!!
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, be sure you're mounting the correct partition. Also, try explicitly choosing the filesystem type when mounting (i.e. say "mount -t [whatever] /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo" or whichever partition you're mounting, and [whatever] is the filesystem of the partition).
mart_man00
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did and i still get errors. i just cant seem to mount it. is there anything i can do? it took a really long time to compile and install
davoid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the inspiration of installing grub into the first 512 bytes of my root partition... nobody complained but I fscked up the superblock. Good thing XFS is such a great filesystem and I could recover using xfs_check. It had copies of the superblock at strategic places on the disk so recovrery was a complete success.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: