Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
World Of Warcraft Howto/Support UPDATED 6/15/05!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cypherphreak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am having the same problem of "no config" file in ~/.wine I read somewhere in this thread that the newer versions of wine do not have a config and rather store it in the registry but when I open up winecfg it says "The winecfg tool is not yet complete, and does not actually alter your configurations. If you want to alter the way Wine works, look in the ~/.wine/config file for more information" which obviosly does not exist on mine and when I do make one wine gives me lots of trouble and won't load anything.

error from wine with ~/.wine/config
Quote:
wineserver: /root/.wine/config is not a valid registry file
wine: for some mysterious reason, the wine server failed to run.

Well I have tried a few other suggested methods like running wine just by itself no options to make the config and mv ~/.wine/ ~/.wine.bak/ and doing same thing none seem to work. config file just seems like it won't work. Maybe I read something wrong cuz I have been drinking a bit who knows. I have read every single post on this thread and didn't find anything that might help.
SKLP
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lameaim wrote:
Use winecfg for configuring wine in the newest release. No more config files, it's all in the registry now.
I know, winecfg is nice. But how do i specify options not available there? In wine's regedit or something? What I'd like to do is what a config file containing this would have done:
Code:
WINE REGISTRY Version 2

[dsound]
"HardwareAcceleration" = "Emulation"

Without that i have no sound in WoW so, how do i specify it with the new system?

thx

EDIT: ok found out how to do it on my own, added a "key" called dsound and a string value pair called HardwareAcceleration with the value Emulation, to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine].
However, i'm having another sound issue i didn't experience with older versions of wine. I'm gonna try to fix that tho...

Last edited by SKLP on Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
SKLP
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cypherphreak wrote:
I do have one question however, how do you show the FPS of the game?
Just hit CTRL-R in-game =)
sirbrett
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: something must be wrong Reply with quote

Code:

[brett@localhost World of Warcraft]$ wine WoW -opengl
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/brett/libmemwrapper.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/brett/libmemwrapper.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

i compiled the .c file like it says to, anyone have any ideas?
sirbrett
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermind! i fixed it! :) my problem was that i had to compile it in 32bit mode (duh) im using fedora x86_64. so i changed the compile command to:
Code:

linux32 gcc -m32 -fPIC -shared -o libmemwrapper.so libmemwrapper.c

im not sure the linux32 part is needed but hey it works now :) thanks!
-brett
deadly_dragons
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-.-
Gridmark
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. It seems i'm having an issue nobody else is.

Using latest cedega, both in OpenGL and in Direct3d. I can run WoW with pretty good performance, except for when I transfer into a zone. I.e. Use my hearthstone, attempt to enter an instance, anything that involves the loading screen.
The screen will load and the happy blue bar will get to the end. Usually I will hear the "Zoned noise" of my bags being initialized and a few open/close window sounds (Actually the sounds of all my AddOns loading, this happens to everyone when they zone). But it doesnt update from the loading screen. Mouse freezes and all is lost, the only way to recover is by switching back to my normal Xserver and issuing a killall -9 wine.

When the crash occurs I get the following error:
Code:

*** glibc detected *** malloc(): memory corruption: 0x7841f800 ***

This leads me to the conclusion that (As Shamus stated) Blizzards memory management routines are seriously fu**ed. The malloc wrapper seemed to be the solution, but it seems cedega will not preload that library (Shamus'es wrapper).
I get the following when running it with BOTH cedega and wine:
Code:

ERROR: ld.so: object 'libmemwrapper.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

Since cedega (the command) is simply a launcher script, it reports loaded (As in its wrapping bash) then fails when cedega executes wine.
Everything suggested has been tried except re-compiling my kernel with 1GB support, thats my next step. If certin registers cant be accessed since the kernel isnt mapping the final portion of the 1GB of ram, I can totally see why malloc is freaking out when wine requests the allocation.

Origianlly I had this problem with both Direct3d and OpenGL running in Cedega. After screwing with the config file I was able to zone in OpenGL mode just fine. As of recently, I seem to get the problem in OpenGL mode just as I do in Direct3d. I'm going to recompile my kernel and play with the malloc wrapper and see what I can come up with.

If anyone has any suggestions, ideas or is having the same problems, please let me know.

Edit:
Code:

linux32 gcc -m32 -fPIC -shared -o libmemwrapper.so libmemwrapper.c

This seems to make the wrapper work. Testing now.

Edit #2:
Doesn't work for me yet, now seems to wrap properly but wine (executed by cedega script) reports:
Code:

wine: exists lstat socket : No such file or directory

Gonna recompile the kernel now...
teidon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Gridmark
Have you tried to play WoW without AddOns, special UI's and other such things? Move the Interface directory to a safe place from WoW's directory and try to play again. Also are you sure that WoW crashes or the screen just doesn't update (that memory corruption does sound bad...)? Like can you here any sounds/music after it (by opening backpack or questlog or something else)? If WoW is still running, you could try to switch to terminal (ctrl+alt+F1) and then back to Xserver (alt+F7). The screen will remain black for a while, but should update after a short while (that is, if WoW is running. That's a good way of clearing the "picture" if you get some strange artifacts after you switch to other virtual desktop and back to WoW).

And that Shamus's fix weren't intended for Cedega users as Cedega users can fix the mouse bug by other means.
WhiteWolfkiba
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found out a useful tip sry if it has already been posted here before. for those of us with the "cursed cursor" where you cannot click anything unless you look into the sky. hit V then you can talk to NPCs by right clicking their health bar. its helpful for talkign to NPCs indoors. sadly it does not make looting any easier. So keep looking to the skys!

"Es geht mir gut wenn mich gute Musik geflasht hat" - Clueso - Gute Musik
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okey I added the Problem with NPC and stuff to the know Issue section on
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_and_update_World_Of_Warcraft_with_wine
please check there if the solution is already there.

It is a bit of a mess there since I have a lot of thinks to do this week. I hope I can polish it up a bit later. But it would be great if someone else could do this. You find all infos how you can do it on the Wiki page itself and I have done a lot there already.

I hope with the collecting mass issues there that we concentrate solutions and technical install howto we can concentrate on new or unsolved issues here. I hope that will break the wind for those who are against this thread and encourage all of us to keep WoW Supported the Gentoo way :)

So please have no stoppages (?) to work on the Wiki HowTOO. I appreciate any help on this.
(please check there the TODO list. Its on the diskussion side :P )

Cheers
Legine
EDIT: Thanks to all helpers, workers problem analysers and readers for your constructive Critics and posts.
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided that I'm not going to add the cool fix for wine (courtesy of shamus13) to the howto on here. It seems that this doesn't work for a number of people, and therefore I can't put it in. I will link to it, however.
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you should put at least the sky looking solution and the activation of Nameplates. It is reinvented all the time. :)

I think I collect all the Data We have. but I believe a Wiki Page is a lot easier to handel and build then a Forum post, so we should here just mention the most imoprtant thinks.
frosch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I hope that I'm not repeating all stuff, but I searched google and forums and didn't find my problem:

World of Warcraft is starting up, but the menu is unreadable. It looks like all polygons are flickering randomly through the screen. I will try to make a screenshot avaiable soon.
I tried a lot of tips I found in the net, but didnt succeed.

Here some infos on my system & configuration, perhaps someone finds an error or something:

cedega version: cvscedega installed by the WineCVS.sh script, -v gives just "Cedega CVS" but its 1 or 2 weeks old now (July 2005 ;)
WoW: copied from a windows-installation, should be the newest version
kernel: 2.6.12.2 (same error with 2.6.11.12), no difference if legacy_va_layout is avaiable or not (if that could have to with it)
grafik: NVidia GeForce 3 Ti, 128mb, Driver: media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.7664
glxinfo says: OpenGL renderer string: GeForce3/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!

I switched a lot of options in the cedega-config, but nothing changes anything (including setting AGP-Ram options and d3dgl-options).
Allthough tried to install cedega manually which leaded to the same problem.
Switching Desktop-Color-Depth and Color-Depth-Options of cedega dont seem to influence the problem in anyway.

There are a lot of error-messaegs and warnings in the cedega-console, perhaps they could help:

Code:

[...]
fixme:msvcrt:_fstat :dwFileAttributes = 32, mode set to 0
err:module:BUILTIN32_dlopen failed to load .so lib for builtin powrprof.dll: libpowrprof.so: Kann die Shared-Object-Datei nicht �fnen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
fixme:system:EnumDisplayDevicesA ((nil),0,0x40922080,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:system:EnumDisplayDevicesA ((nil),0,0x40922364,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:system:EnumDisplayDevicesA ((nil),0,0x40922900,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:system:EnumDisplayDevicesA ((nil),0,0x40922900,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoA Unknown action: 113
fixme:ddraw:Direct3DDevice9_CreateQuery (0x40404ba0)->(9,(nil)): stub!
fixme:ddraw:Direct3DDevice9_CreateQuery (0x40404ba0)->(8,0x47a53a48): stub!
fixme:system:EnumDisplayDevicesA ((nil),0,0x40922070,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoA Unknown action: 112
fixme:imm:ImmAssociateContext (0x00010021, 0x00000000): stub
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoA Unknown action: 113
err:virtual:VirtualFree Could not remap pages, expect trouble
[...]
fixme:ddraw:Direct3DDevice9_SetStreamSource offset=1394640
err:ddraw:Direct3DDevice9_GetStridedDataUP stride inconsistency! 24 != 32
fixme:ddraw:Direct3DDevice9_SetStreamSource offset=1396192
[...]
fixme:ddraw:Direct3DDevice9_SetStreamSource offset=98304
err:ddraw:Direct3DDevice9_GetStridedDataUP stride inconsistency! 32 != 24
[...]

the last ones are generated several times per second...

Anyone any idea?

Thank you very much, frosch.

===> solved.
Thank you, Teidon. I'm trying this since two weeks, no it worked with the first try :)

Last edited by frosch on Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
MasterMind
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I found one problem :P. Everything works perfect, but! I can't select nothing with clicking. I can select a hostile with TAB, but I can't click him. Could anyone told me what is wrong? I am using Wine and NVidia GeForce 5700 FX LE. I tried chaging DXGrap to Y, but didn't helped...

Podnapisi.NET, we support only quality!
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterMind: read at least the first post, please... bug from version WoW 1.5.1. Fix for cedega, possible work around for wine see link in first post.
MasterMind
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikshar: I've read the first post, but I thought it was refering to my problem (I'm a bad reader, I guess). Tried the patch, and it workes flawlessly.

Podnapisi.NET, we support only quality!
teidon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ frosch
The cvs of Cedega haven't been updated for months (it's still known as Winex in cvs). It's too old to be able to run WoW anymore. You'll have to use either WINE (2 last releases works fine with WoW) or Cedega (I think you need the latest version). You'll have the annoying mouse bug with both of them, but read the first post for fixes/workarounds.
ikataii
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried 2.6.11-ck10 with no luck, though it does increase overall performance (makes the initial load faster, if slightly choppier, and the entire system runs at a better clip). Toggling the mem-related differences between my kernel and Waywocket's didn't seem to affect anything, though I might have missed something. Anybody gotten this to work?
teidon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikataii wrote:
Anybody gotten this to work?

Nope. If the Shamus's fix doesn't work for you, there's no other known fixes for Wine. Also, the Wine devs are not going to fix the problem (WWN Issue #281, at the end), because they think it's a bug in WoW and there's a fix that works for most of the people. I can't blame them for the decision cause they do have other things to do too, but WoW is just so popular game currently and there's a lot of Linux gamers playing it, that I think it would be nice if it would work out-of-the-box for everyone, without some hackish fixes. But guess I'll just have to hope that Blizzard fixes the memory bug (which causes the mouse bug) or I'm forced to hand out my 15 euros to Transgaming...

In the same WWN Issue #281, on the part where WoW were discussed, someone said that he made "a lousy mmap wrapper which sets start to 0x10000000". Does anyone know how to make such thing? I'd like to play around with it in the hopes that it would fix the mouse bug for me...
Caedes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi teidon,

I am also incapable of getting a wine fix to work. I would guess the wine people are refering to the fix proposed by legine when they speak of a memory wrapper starting at 0x10000000. This fix should do the same thing as the cedega workaround. But even for cedega there are a few people for whom this fix does not work.
I played a bit with legines approach, but still no success. E.g. I increased the length of memory reservations by a few bytes, wasting memory but maybe preventing overflows. Still no success.
I installed a shiny new cvs version of the xorg-server, assuming it could be a graphics problem. To me it is not clear, why a memory wrapper fixes it. It looks like a Z-Buffer problem, i.e. painting the objects in the right order but calculating mouse over collisions in the opposite direction, resulting background objects preventing the correct mouse over behaviour. But, as you will certainly guess, no success.
Finally, I am at the end of my wits while comparing my vanilla kernel config to the working one posted by Waywocket. I see no real difference, legacy memory layout is turned off by default and turing it on again (/proc/sys/vm/va_legacy_layout to 1) makes no difference.
To bad, playing WOW on Linux was quite fun.
Septor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't know if I got lucky or something, but it seems there was a mini-WoW patch today... and it fixed the picking problem for me!

Everyone log in and try it without any preload hacks :)
shamus13
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ello all,

Looks like we did get an answer from the Wine guys, eh? Well, at least we got
on WWN, we are famous :D

@Caedes
I originally thought the same as you, that is was a graphics problem, but
i dug through a lot of postings on forums and found, that the bug appeared
with GL and D3D and windows and wine/cedega. The cedega fix and the
increase of error 132 from windows people rather changed my mind:)
It makes perfect sense for a memory bug to cause this, but what are the odds
of it trashing this one buffer...

@Septor
Didnt notice any mini updates today and no changes with the picking bug.
Was this mini update on the EU or US servers?

Yours Shamus
Septor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shamus13 wrote:
Ello all,

Looks like we did get an answer from the Wine guys, eh? Well, at least we got
on WWN, we are famous :D

@Caedes
I originally thought the same as you, that is was a graphics problem, but
i dug through a lot of postings on forums and found, that the bug appeared
with GL and D3D and windows and wine/cedega. The cedega fix and the
increase of error 132 from windows people rather changed my mind:)
It makes perfect sense for a memory bug to cause this, but what are the odds
of it trashing this one buffer...

Yours Shamus

Hehe, I even have my very own quote in there... my 15 sec of fame?? ;)

For those interested in what Shamus is referring to, see: http://winehq.com/?issue=281#World%20of%20Warcraft%20Broken
Septor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shamus13 wrote:

@Septor
Didnt notice any mini updates today and no changes with the picking bug.
Was this mini update on the EU or US servers?

Maybe there wasn't an update after all... I had a small update when I ran a fresh reinstall patched to 1.5, and then everything was working great.... so I reran my original install, and there was no patch downloaded... BUT it started working anyways!? Now I am confused... anyways, things are working for me now. I just updated to gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r4, maybe that had something to do with it?

My setup:
wine=20050628
kernel=2.6.12-gentoo-r4
fglrx=8.14.13-r2 (local ebuild for ati video driver with 2.6.12 patches from rage3d.com)
kEiNsTeiN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Sound Problems Reply with quote

Hi!

I am really sorry if this has been solved already, I couldn't find it anywhere if it has.

My problem is, that if I use Wine with OSS, it's not working at all, and the sound with Alsa ist choppy and weird, although it's working.

The errormessages I get with wine are the following, the last line repeats endlessly:

Code:
veit@veitbook /mnt/hda5/Spiele/WorldofWarcraft $ wine wow.exe -opengl
ALSA lib control.c:739:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL plug:hw:0
err:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne underrun on sound buffer 0x7fe27250
err:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne underrun on sound buffer 0x7fe27250

With the configuration:

Code:
cat ~/.wine/config
WINE REGISTRY Version 2

[wine]
"Desktop" = "1400x1050"
"UseDGA" = "N"
"UseXVidMode" = "N"
"VertexShaders" = "Y"
"VertexShaderMode" = "Hardware"
"PixelShaders" = "N"

[WinMM]
"Drivers" = "winealsa.drv"
;"Drivers" = "wineoss.drv"
"WaveMapper" = "msacm.drv"
"MidiMapper" = "midimap.drv"

[dsound]
"HardwareAcceleration" = "Emulation"
;"DefaultPlayback" = "0"

[AppDefaults\\wow.exe\\memory]
 "MemoryLayoutOverride" = "0x10000000"

Weird is, that Alsa is only working when "DefaultPlayback" = "0" is commented out.

When I try using OSS, I dont get any messages in the console I start WoW from, but sound is just not working at all.

I am using the unchanged .asoundrc I got from this page:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ALSA_sound_mixer_aka_dmix#intel8x0_audio_card_integrated_on_nforce2_motherboards
Alsa-[headers,oss,tools,utils,lib] Version: 1.0.9
I dont have alsa-[firmware,driver] installed, but I could if you told me to :D

XMMS-OSS is working perfectly with standard settings and with specifying /dev/dsp as output device.

If you could help me fix Alsa, maybe with specifying the Buffer-Length, or get OSS to work, I would be really thankful.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: