XFS Patching (2.4.20 Vanilla-Sources)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NicholasDWolfwood
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: XFS Patching (2.4.20 Vanilla-Sources) Reply with quote

Hi guys, quick question.

Is it possible to patch a Vanilla-sources 2.4.20 kernel for XFS support? XFS 1.2 just came out (You should know if you've been following the XFS homepage :P) and I want to use it for video editing when I get my new hard drive.

So, is it possible to patch a vanilla sources 2.4.20 kernel, and if so, how would I go about doing it?
NicholasDWolfwood
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*

Nobody answers *my* questions!

Other people post, and within ten minutes they get replies. Meanwhile, I'm waiting for a reply for about a day and to no avil.

*bump*
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it is possible!

just download the 2.4.20 kernel from www.kernel.org or emerge the vanilla kernel.

then go to your extracted vanilla 2.4.20 kernel (normaly in /usr/src/linux-2.4.20) and download the needed patches from ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/patches/2.4.20/ (i would suggest you to get all of the patches. aka: wget ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/patches/2.4.20/xfs-2.4.20-all-i386.bz2)

after you downloaded the patch, extract it from the bz2 and apply it witch patch -p1 <xfs-2.4.20-all-i386

after that just configure your kernel and compile it :)

don't forget to download and compile the user tools (ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/cmd_tars/)

cheers

SteveB
NicholasDWolfwood
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have the kernel installed, but I never patched the kernel during setup. Can I patch my existing kernel?

Anyways, how do you extract a bzip2 file? I forget. Also, if I reinstall the kernel, do I have to redo everything like fstab, or do I just have to re-enable the settings for like my network card and stuff?

*EDIT* Forgive me for being so dumb, but could somebody write up a tutorial or something for the morons like me who can't figure out how to patch the kernel for XFS support/patch an existing kernel?*/EDIT*
NicholasDWolfwood
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*

Forgive me for these bumps, but I'm too dumb to understand how to patch the kernel, so I need a step-by-step tutorial, and I may be getting the hard drive I'll be using XFS on tomorrow or next week, so I need to know how to patch a kernel/patch my existing kernel.
NicholasDWolfwood
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*
miunk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you patch and re-compile and install your <new> kernel, your configuration files should be fine as long as they don't conflict with the new kernel config. (i.e. You didn't compile your network card as a module in the new kernel, etc.) Those files don't get changed, only thing that gets changed in my case would be bzImage and the files in /usr/src/linux and symlinked.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: