Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
DTP with inkscape (cd cover and booklet)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kung.foo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: DTP with inkscape (cd cover and booklet) Reply with quote

I want to create the artwork for our bands new CD completely in Inkscape. The followong things are still bothering my creative process:
- The CD is going to be printed with offset printing, so i need to get CMYK colors right...
- The color space. How do I get the colors printed the way I have them on my screen right now?
- The format: They want me to supply files in formats like pdf, or Ado*e Illustrator native format. How do I create a pdf from an svg?? Can't be that hard?

Anyone ever done something like that before?? I really want to do it using inkscape and not any other software (at least if it's not free as free beer)
stgreek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: DTP with inkscape (cd cover and booklet) Reply with quote

kung.foo wrote:
I want to create the artwork for our bands new CD completely in Inkscape. The followong things are still bothering my creative process:
- The CD is going to be printed with offset printing, so i need to get CMYK colors right...
- The color space. How do I get the colors printed the way I have them on my screen right now?

This is the problem of every single person that is involved with offset printing, good luck with that (seriously, this is the only advice I can give you!)
Quote:

- The format: They want me to supply files in formats like pdf, or Ado*e Illustrator native format. How do I create a pdf from an svg?? Can't be that hard?

Save your file as postscript and use one of the many ps2pdf converters.
kung.foo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inkscape does not allow direct *.ps saving, AFAIK.

If you know how to do it, tell me please :D I really don't want to use any crappy (maybe even pirated software (not saying that I have pirated software of course, but I might have to get the software otherwise and I probably can't afford it :))) to get this job done. And inscape is just plain awesome. Maybe I'll have to contact one of the developers...

[edit]
Ok I found the postscript export :) I was being dumb....
[/edit]
kung.foo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I arleady editted the previous post, i figured, i could also post a new reply...

So i get out the postscript. It looks alright, colors are still the same, and only at the bottom of it there a slight white line, where the page should end.

The new problem is now as follows:

I've got the postscript, want to convert it to pdf. So off to the command-line ps2pdf14 file.ps and there you go. A shiny pdf. Only problem is that ps2pdf gets the page format wrong. The postscripts page was the same format as in the svg, but now I got what looks like a A4 pdf and the CD cover is at the bottom of the page... :(
How do i fix that? (OK, I might start to sound like a retard now, but I still would apreciate any answers...)
kung.foo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet another problem I bumped into today, the exported postscripts don't get ANY transparency right. Sometimes the colors get borked too. But only occasionally. I guess I'm gonna have to ask the reproduction facility, wether they can use PNGs, which sucks, because I pretend them not to.....

Any ideas about the postscript transparency and color thing?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: