Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Compile times and Hardware(moved post from portage)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kramerkeller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Compile times and Hardware(moved post from portage) Reply with quote

Alright so - I am having some problems, but for the most part I like gentoo so far better than all the other distros because at least when I am having a hard time - I know what the hell is kinda going on.

However, the compiling the compiling. Now I am getting better at knowing when and when not to - and when I have to do newuse and etc-update and that stuff. SO I over do things sometimes being newb, but still there is lots of time going into compiling.

Since I hate windows and I have a machine running windows - I was wondering if it would make a significant difference in compile time if I were to run gentoo on that machine. Right now I have gentoo on a pentium 3 500Mhz. My other pc is an athlon - I believe a duron running at 1.2 Ghz. NOw it only has 256 RAM right now, but I can definetely upgrade if I need to.

Will my compile times be much faster on the athlon? Does more RAM help reduce compile time? How much of a difference will these things make? Can I change some CHOST flags to compile faster - although I have heard about 01, 02, and 03 I have no clue - some are unstable?. Basically what are all the different things I can do to reduce compile time? If need be I'll spend a little money, but not tons. Thanks gentoo guys (& gals).
norc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Will my compile times be much faster on the athlon?

Yes!
Quote:
Does more RAM help reduce compile time?

IMHO Yes!
Quote:
Can I change some CHOST flags to compile faster - although I have heard about 01, 02, and 03 I have no clue - some are unstable?.

Look here: http://gentoo-wiki.com/CFLAGS
Quote:
Basically what are all the different things I can do to reduce compile time?

You can change the hardware ...
You can change USE flags
You can change the 'MAKEOPTS' (make.conf) new (-j1, -j2, -j3 etc. ... this are only the numbers of the compile processes that are running at the same time .. with -j2 there are almost always two compile processes running )not for different packages but for different files (in a package there are lots of files that have to be compiled ;) ) (CPU's + 1 is recommended for the makeopts option .. for example ... you have 2 cpu's .. than -j3 would be ok..
Then you can set the PORTAGE_NICENESS: http://gentoo-wiki.com/Portage_Niceness
You can overclock your cpu...
There are so many things you can do ;)
zieloo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at distcc, too:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/distcc.xml
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Distcc_server_on_Windows
And maybe this: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Distcc_over_SSH_with_Portage
raf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run very tweaked-out CFLAGS on my gentoo for about a year. Every now and then I had a crash where my whole system would go down. When that happened, I always questioned wheather or now it was a kernel thing or my CFLAGS causing X to crash.

About 6 months ago I asked myself if a 2% speed improvement was really worth a potential stability issue? Well the answer was no! So I re-compiled my entire system with the simple flags "march pipe -O2 fomit-framepointer." After the re-compile I noticed several things: 1) The crashing I was experiencing had nothing to do with my CFLAGS and it was still an issue until the next kernel release. I am now very stable with downtime only on kernel upgrades. So you can have a very stable system with crazy CFLAGS (but half the time they are filtered out by packages anyways). 2) Right now my system is as fast if not faster then my previous "tweaked-out" system. 3) The compile time is AT LEAST 2-3 times faster then before (probably due to using O2 instead of O3).

This is just my opinion and there is a lot of discussion about this (and this is not intended to start another one) but compile your system with gcc-3.4.4 for your particular processor (with pipe -O2 fomit-framepointer) and that will be the biggest speed increase you'll get. There are some hardcore flags you can set such as fast-math but those are already set by packages that know how to use them (such as mplayer).
mdshort
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to start anything, but the proper CFLAG is -pipe not "pipe".

Sorry, it was bugging me.
raf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For people like mdshort:

Code:
CFLAGS="-march=pentium4m -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

kramerkeller
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to consolidate my posts so as not to be rude. I think distcc is solution and of course moving to my computer that is faster _ i guess will make huge differenec. I said athlon, but I meant DURON. SO again I will ask, 500Mhz pentium or 1.2 Ghz Duron. I don't know whole lots about proccessors, but I know celeron's suck and I didn't know if Duron's were alright - or if at least if my "faster" duron is actually in fact faster then the pentium.

And - I see RAM makes a difference - would RAM make the greater difference or Processor speed - in compiling.

As far as distcc goes I have another post up on other things gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: