mysql woes
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jshanab
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: mysql woes Reply with quote

I almost ready to emerge -u mysql && emerge postgresql, down for weeks and very desperate.

Sometime after an update the mysql system quit working, down goes my forum(phpBB), my itranet php/mysql application and I can't even get in to it. I thought maybe I had been hacked ;-) but realized it was just the update.

mysql-administrator is acting like a piece of junk. it crashes without errors(seq-faults) and won't let me add users or change users settings it likes to say "Duplicate user" when trying to update a users info or permissions.

re-emergeing and rebuilding the user database doesn't help. I tried deleteing users only to discover that they can be added back without privllegews and all attemps to change the privliges result in " Duplicate user" chose another.

I can't edit row data or delete rows in the query browser and thos are with the root@localhost account which shows full priviledges.

mysql-administrator 1.0.22a
mysql-query-browser 1.1.12
mysql 4.0.24

uname -a
Linux hamal 2.6.12-gentoo-r4 #13 SMP Tue Jul 12 20:59:31 PDT 2005 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1600+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Apache = 2.0.54-r8

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have tried all kinds of things.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your livelyhood relies on this website, i strongly encourages you to use tools where you can get support and which are reliable in production.
jshanab
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: er, uh.... Reply with quote

Interesting statement, but if you are implying mysql is not up to the task, ok, What is up to the task and what evidence do you give to the claim.

No flame wars, no wild opinons just please point me to some data. I really want to know.

I have only used 3 sql products, oracle,postgress, and mysql and so far all I only have those types of generic answers myself.

oracle is big, really big, and slow on a small scale, I think it is more appropriate for a large database with lots of users.
postgres is bang-on proper sql and stable,stable stable. Seems fast, even on old 600mhz p3 redhat box
mysql has quirks, some might say it's own dielect and is volitile, changes to fundemental structures and databases, lots of changes and hince bugs. The forums I found seem almost to be scrubbed of negative posts with only rosey solved posts remain, have to look at bug reports.

I accedentally played with mssql once, I missread the install disk as mysql, it was ok, but reminded me of how sql was added on to dbase., sort of a translation.

Have I left out any major players out there?
scawa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... the origional Database to have SQL

IBM DB2
lightvhawk0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't the new version of mysql have problems with php? or vise versa?? I'd say just down grade mysql
trizz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: MySQL or the tools? Reply with quote

Quote:
If your livelyhood relies on this website, i strongly encourages you to use tools where you can get support and which are reliable in production.

I think ebrostig may be referring to the query browser and mysql administrator tools here.

Anyway, it's actually a complaint that I have right now that these tools are still ~x86. my question is why? these are tools provided by http://www.mysql.com/products/tools/ and are GPL(2) These are also very good tools for perfoming day-to-day tasks with/on mysql databases.

I'm a huge gentoo fan, I run gentoo on my workstation, on my personal laptop, and have often recommended gentoo as a superior Linux distro....

BUT

'gentoo is a fast moving target' a friend of mine said to me when I decided to make it the first Linux distrobution I'd ever used, installed, and learned. That little comment could have earned an understatement of the year award.

Gentoo is more than fast moving, it's creating it's own temporal vortex! When (ever) you do an up date on any production system that's built on gentoo it always pays to carefully read what packages are going to be updated and it never hurts to do a quick search on the forums to see if there are any problems with those packages before running emerge -uD <anything>.

I've learned this lesson the hard way beleive me. Still, even if one takes all the right precautions, sometimes things still break. One thoery as to why is that packages get marked stable too soon, before enough testing is done. This has been said before so I'm not going to beat the deceased equus caballus here.

Here's the bone I will pick though...
mysql-query-browser and mysql-administrator are both still ~x86 yet wine is tweaked to perfection so people can play WOW. What's up wit dat? These are powerful, useful, and widely used tools for MySQL... I use them, well... partialy, they don't actually completely work on gentoo... maybe 65%. I've had some of the same problems jshanab has had, mysql-administrator is practically useless, on gentoo it's nothing more than a GUI mytop since the 'server connections' and 'health' screens are the only ones that I can get to work without it crashing.

This is frustrating as I use these tools and would like to have them be fully functional. I'm betting jshanab would agree.

And really, where is gentoo going in such a hurry anyway? To the world's biggest LAN party? I need a serious Linux distro with serious commitment to stability and support for the enterprise applications and tools that I use in my profession... I couldn't care less about WOW. So... I'm watching, and paying close attention to where this distro is going as well as where others are at now and headding.

All that said, I know some of the responses I'll get will be... "help out, do some testing, help move the packages you want toward a stable status etc..." and in the case of these tools I just may try and see if and how I can help because I don't want to abandon gentoo over these two pieces of software not working. Things that will make me switch are continuous instances of down time, packages breaking on update, dependency conflicts, and most importaintly security problems.

So far, a good working knowledge of gentoo (from several stage 3 installs and learning by breaking and fixing things) has kept my system stable and happy for quite a long time now... but I am a gentoo user "at risk" so to speak. I've had enough annoying problems and hours of frustration in the past that it won't take more than one instance of something like what jshanab is describing here to put me over the edge and into another distro's arms.

.:Peace:.
-T-
swingkyd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it's also strange that the windows versions of mysql-administrator and mysql-querybrowser both work without any problems, crashes or bugs. It seems very strange that our favourite linux distribution which is normally stable and happy (and normally works much better), does not like these two programs. It is basically useless as you've mentioned.
Alternatively, if you know how, try using OpenOffice.org 2.0.4 with connector/J and you might find most of the functionality can be replicated there (actually, it's pretty scary how well it works).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: