Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Alsa & sblive 5.1 is rear output supposed to be softer?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whammoed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Alsa & sblive 5.1 is rear output supposed to be softer? Reply with quote

I have kernel 2.6.5 and alsa 1.0.3b and a sound blaster live 5.1
In alsamixer I turned master,pcm, wave, wave surround, wave center, and wave lfe all to 100%
However the rear, center, and sub channels are noticeable softer than the front. Is it supposed to be this way? Is it an alsa thing, sblive thing, or something else? Does the audigy series behave the same?...I don't mind buying an audigy card.

thanks!
whammoed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone?
vai777
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an audigy w/ a 5.1 speaker and i also dont know how to make it work.

Center, rear, and subwoofer are at noticeable lower volume.
whammoed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone with an Audigy2 care to post their results on this matter?
Stolz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a SB Live! 5.1 with Alsa and both front and rear channels sound the same level. May be there is a problem with your mixer settings.

Alsa mixer settings are saved at /etc/asound.state. The file is very large to be posted here (55K) so, if you send me your mail (via PM) I can send it. You can control Alsa's behaviour by editing /etc/conf.d/alsasound so, when you get my settings be sure not to overwrite it when you stop the Alsa daemon.

Rgds.
whammoed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stolz wrote:
I own a SB Live! 5.1 with Alsa and both front and rear channels sound the same level. May be there is a problem with your mixer settings.

Alsa mixer settings are saved at /etc/asound.state. The file is very large to be posted here (55K) so, if you send me your mail (via PM) I can send it. You can control Alsa's behaviour by editing /etc/conf.d/alsasound so, when you get my settings be sure not to overwrite it when you stop the Alsa daemon.

Rgds.

sent...

Is it the same even when the master and pmc and wave channels are up all the way? These two do not affect the rear and center/sub so if they are turned down a little it can appear that they are all at the same level.

thanks!
Stolz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whammoed wrote:
Stolz wrote:

Rgds.

sent...

Is it the same even when the master and pmc and wave channels are up all the way? These two do not affect the rear and center/sub so if they are turned down a little it can appear that they are all at the same level.

thanks!

Yes, it seems to me the same. Check your mail for the asound.state file. Remember to stop Alsa before overwriting it. Also I've attached a 6-channels wav file for you to test.

Hope it helps.

Rgds.
whammoed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stolz wrote:
whammoed wrote:
Stolz wrote:

Rgds.

sent...

thanks!

Yes, it seems to me the same. Check your mail for the asound.state file. Remember to stop Alsa before overwriting it. Also I've attached a 6-channels wav file for you to test.

Hope it helps.

Rgds.

thanks, i'll check it out
I actually wasn't interested in true 5.1 audio though. Just regular stereo that will play on all the speakers. I don't know if that makes a difference. I will play around with it some more.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: